Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pole pieces stick up from my pickups. WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole pieces stick up from my pickups. WTF?

The pole pieces (little magnets...one for each string) stick up about the width of three guitar picks from the top surface of two of my single pups in my soloist. In the hum, they are nice and flush.

Does any know how I can safely lower them back down into the pup? My pick catches on them during vigorous strumming (ala Metal Church "Metal Church"). Thanks again JCF'ers.

Re: Pole pieces stick up from my pickups. WTF?

The pole-pieces are staggered,supposed to be!!Just lower the pickup if they get in the way!!

Comment

Many many years ago on a distant shore. Pickups with staggered magnets are what most guitars wore. They sounded warm and sounded clear as many have found. Yes, this is the type they've chosen to build the metal sound.

Well, not really..but you get the drift.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Does any know how I can safely lower them back down into the pup? My pick catches on them during vigorous strumming (ala Metal Church "Metal Church"). Thanks again JCF'ers.

[/ QUOTE ]You've gotta lower the whole pickup if it gets in your way. Or just learn not to dig in that far. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you really want to you can lower them. Lightly press down and they will move inwards. If you don't use the singles too much you'll never know the difference. But the string tone will be unbalanced a little. "Men gathered secretly behind a hidden door." Is that it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Remember their remake of Purples' "Highway Star?" [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

yeah, you can push them down witht he tip of a screwdriver. If you don't like the way it changes the sound, you can pull the pup out and push the polepieces back where they were from the bottom.

Comment

I forget how superior you cats are. All the references...

G!!!!

Jim... you owned it!

Comment

...Do be advised that they will now stick out the bottom of the pup, possibly causing problems adjusting height (depending on depth of rout and height of pickup in teh rout).

Shouldnt in most cases, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Why bother pushing the pole pieces in when you can just lower the whole pickup and make it easier? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

if the polepieces are flat with the bobbin, you can move it closer tot he strings and not get your pick caught in them.

Comment

However, the strings will sound unbalanced if you do that.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Many many years ago on a distant shore. Pickups with staggered magnets are what most guitars wore. They sounded warm and sounded clear as many have found. Yes, this is the type they've chosen to build the metal sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha...that's classic right there! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

dude, only about 1 or 2 mm of the pick ever needs to reach below the strings. Unless you play like korn or limbizkit etc.
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            dude, only about 1 or 2 mm of the pick ever needs to reach below the strings. Unless you play like korn or limbizkit etc.

[/ QUOTE ]My thoughts exactly!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha...that's classic right there! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell F'in yeah Metal Church!, now there's a name I've not heard in a long time.....and I played it this morning.

Sorry to hijack, yeah, do what they said, don't pick so deep er, lower the pickup. I'll go now, bye...
                              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                              X