Changing pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pickups

Ok so this isn't so much of a tech question but a question about techs. I want to swap the middle pickup of my SL3 with the neck pickup of my SL1 and maybe add EMG preamp boosts to both guitars. How much would a guitar shop be likely to charge me to do this? I could just wire it all myself, but would rather have a pro job if it's relatively inexpensive.

I've never had anyone else work on my stuff before, I typically prefer to do it myself so I actually learn how the stuff works. Though in this case I know exactly how it works I just don't have a very good hand for soldering!

Re: Changing pickups

learning to solder is quite easy-making things look all professional and pretty takes practce, but making a solid solder joint is something you can learn in a few minutes if someone shows you correctly.

As for having a tech do it, call whichever one you plan on using and ask what the hourly shop rate is. Since what you want to do does not require any additonal materials (maybe a new set of strings or other little stuff) it should really only be a charge for the labor. Alot of shops have a "standard" rate for common jobs, like a pickup install-probably a 1 hour job, so it should be whatever the hourly rate is.

Just swapping the pickups-I would do it myself and save the hassle of having to take it to the shop, wait afew days, have to go pick it up, etc. You can really do it yourself in a few minutes. I don't know anything about adding the preamps, but I assume their are detailed instructions with it.

Comment

Re: Changing pickups

I know that I can do it myself and have it function fine, it will probably just look like crap. I figure if it would be like $50 I'd take em to someone, otherwise just do it myself. Anyway I think I'm gonna just order the preamps and wire it myself. I'll report back as to how awesome or not awesome it ends up sounding when it's all done.

Comment

Working...
      X