Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hum cancelling single coils vs original singles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum cancelling single coils vs original singles?

Just got Uli Jon Roth'a Metamorphosis and realised how much Blackmore was right having said that a single coil makes you sound unique.
    I was wondering whether those stacked hum cancelling single coils have same sound spectra as original single coil pickups. I do understand that resonance frequency has a lot to do with the sound.
    I could split my neck humbucker and install a 250K volume pot there to make it sound like a single coil, but I don't want much noise - I have enough already. Hence, I am interested in those stacked single coils and how the sound.
    I would appreciate any advise

Re: Hum cancelling single coils vs original single

Stacked single coils and single coil sized humbuckers are close to a true single coil sound, but not quite the same. I personally love the Vintage Rails from Duncan for a single coil tone without the hum. I haven't tried any of the stacked single coils but a lot of people really like them. It just all depends on what's more important, a "true" single coil tone or no noise.

Comment

Re: Hum cancelling single coils vs original single

Good, true single coils have a certain "glassy" tone to them-almost bell-like. This is in addition tot he normal brightness of a SC. I have heard SC-sized HBs that have the brightness, and sound nice, but they just don't seem to get that SC chime tone. This comes from having used a lil '59, JB jr, A Carvin TBH, and the Jackson J-200s, and comparing them to the original SC's in my Japanese HM strat.

Comment

Working...
      X