Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I install an EMG hum in my soloist myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I install an EMG hum in my soloist myself?

I am thinking about replacing my bridge hum with an active EMG. I am pretty handy, but no guitar tech. Should I attempt the wiring and battery clip action, or take it to a pro? Opinions (experiences) appreciated.

Re: Can I install an EMG hum in my soloist myself?

I have never installed an EMG, but my advice is to go for it-you are going to want to learn it someday anyway, and the best way is to do it yourself. Besides, if you screw it up, it won't cost anymore to have a tech wire it right than it would to have him do it in the first place.

Comment

I did it right the first time I tried it. Just follow the instructions and focus on what you are doing.

Comment

Me too, it's very easy. As zulia said, follow the instructions and focus. You can do it man...
        Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Thanks for the responses and encouragement brethren.

Comment

I havn´t installed any actives, but passives are very easy to install anyway.

Comment

Just keep in mind to have separate pots if you intend on mixing passives and actives in the same guitar. 25K Ohm EMG pots for the EMG, and 250/500K Ohm pots for your passives. Otherwise, just switch all the pickups in the guitar for EMGs and make your life a little bit simpler.

Comment

It is only one more wire to deal with (compared to passive), so it isn't really any more difficult. Just remember to leave yourself enough slack wire!

Comment

Its really not that bad to do, just be patient, take your time, and make sure to leave yourself enough slack. There are plenty of good diagrams on the net to help you through it as well. Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Practice soldering on some bits of wire until you get the hang of it. It's a really easy soldering job though.

Comment

Working...
                    X