Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

check out this Dimarzio super 2 pls? (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check out this Dimarzio super 2 pls? (pics)

Does anyone know approximately when this pickup was made? It IS a super II right? I've never seen a Dimarzio with this shape.
    Anyone have it? how does it sound?

I have yet to put it in since I'm really busy this week.
    On the back it says Dimarzio Pickups, Made in USA.

Re: check out this Dimarzio super 2 pls? (pics)

looks like a plastic cover is missing or something.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    never seen one like it before either..hopefully it'll sound just the same [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've seen those before-but not in many years. I remember them being creme colored, but I guess they could have come in black too. IMO, they are butt-ugly. I'm not sure if you can pry the cover off or not, or if it even looks like a regular pup underneath.

Comment

Very weird looking, but I guess it's an old-school model. Maybe see if you can send a pic to DiMarzio's website and they can possibly give you some info.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just got a reply from Dimarzio techsupport:

"This is our original Super 2 with the same specs as today. We stoppedmaking them with covers in the early 80s."

So I landed myself a brand new factory sealed vintage Dimarzio that's older than I am, haha. Can't wait to hear it!

Comment

Kick ass!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Are you using it as a neck pup? That's where they really shine, IMO, with either an X2N or regular Super Distortion in the bridge. At the moment, I've got the Super D/Super 2 combo in my Carvin and love it. I used to have the X2N/Super 2 in my Warrior, but I sold that guitar and just have the pups laying around for something else eventually. The Super 2 is the same power as the Super D, just more treble.
            I believe VitaminG here has the Super 2 as the bridge pup in a Charvel and says it's pretty good there.

Comment

Yeap I'm gonna put it in the neck, and my Super Distortion is on its way to me right now! I basically got these due to your recommendation toejam. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Now I have to figure out how to wire these pups...
              I want the mid selection of my 3 way switch to be a coil tap for the neck pup... and I have no experience whatsoever with these and those switches. Oh I'll figure it out after my tests :\

Comment

read the wiring instructions that came in the box, and you'll be fine! I think it looks ugly but I have a feeling it will sound great! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

my old instructor had one of those in the neck pos. of his Gibby 175. However, he only ever played it unplugged, so I couldn't hear it very well...

Comment

i had one like that; got it as a gift with a les paul kit for christmas when i was 14. you CAN take that cover off; i did, and there's no messy wax or anything under there. it should just pop right off for ya.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Good times! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

is it just a reg. black or cream Super 2 underneath?

Comment

Wow! I remember those. I would just take the cover off. I'd still keep it on hand though. That was an 80's product no question!

Comment

Working...
                          X