Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Saddle Buzz ?

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this :
    My A and G strings Floyd saddles Buzz quite a lot and I don't know how to prevent this, is there a way to "tighten" their grip or something ? It actually comes from the part that's directly under the string...
    Input on that would be very much appreciated...

Re: Floyd Saddle Buzz ?

I get that on the G string on one of mine as well and the Heavy E(42).
    Anyone have a solution for this, it's annoying as hell.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

is it the pin that holds the hinged part together? And are you sure it is not the locknut. I have never heard of an actual saddle buzzing. YOu could try tightening the intonation screw down a bit-but be careful not to strip it. This is a weird one indeed...

Comment

I've already tried to tighten the intonation screw, and the problem remains.
        I'm pretty sure, as far as I am concerned, that it's the saddle : when i touch it lightly while strumming the string, there's no buzz...
        thanks for your advice though.

Comment

I have seen similar problems once or twice on cheap licensed Floyds. One time all it required was removing the string out of the block and re-seating it. The second time it happened was after an intonation adjustment, I took the saddle off and re-installed it. I have seen it one time on a vintage trem, new strings fixed that one. If this problem is a recent development, maybe one of these will fix it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll try removing the saddle and puting it back in AND changing the string at the same time... (Hey, strings are exepnsive where I live).
            Thanks for your help !

Comment

There's not a lot you can do short of replacing the saddle.
              Try running the fine tuner down further in it's range. That is to say, unlock the string and spin the tuner down till it's maybe 1.5 to 2 turns out from full bottom, then tighten and re-tune the string.
              Sometimes the increased angle of the saddle helps. You'll probably want to set them all up like that, so they are somewhat even...but you probably knew that.

Comment

you may also need new string blocks; there could be a crack in there.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

How often do you clean/tech your bridge? I've had this problem a few times from Kahlers, and they were always on bridges that appeared to have never been cleaned. Removing all the saddles and fine tuners, cleaning everything with rubbing alcohol and q-tips, lightly oiling any moving parts (the rollers on the saddles for Kahlers), replacing any rusted, worn, or stripped bolts/screws, and reassembling everything never failed to work for me.

It is a PITA, since you have to reintonate when you are done, but it is just one of those things I do once a year on all of my guitars. Just like anything else you own, your guitars require regular maintenance.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Has anyone experienced anything similar to this :
                    My A and G strings Floyd saddles Buzz quite a lot and I don't know how to prevent this, is there a way to "tighten" their grip or something ? It actually comes from the part that's directly under the string...
                    Input on that would be very much appreciated...

[/ QUOTE ]
                    the buzz is coming from where the HINGE is for the saddles travel when using the fine tuning
                    try using some 3 in 1 or WD-40 where the saddle swivles(mid section) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Thank you all, I haven't had the chance to try it all but at least I have some leads !
                      The thing that bothers me about changing the saddle or putting it off, cleaning and putting it back on, is I just bought the guitar brand new...

Comment

Ok, so Chuckracer's tip is working, but it's not very appealling since it's more a quick fix than a real solution.
                        The 3in1 tip from Savage didn't work either.
                        I have yet to try removing the saddles and cleaning (but it's brand new!) or, ultimately, replacing the saddle.
                        Thanks for your help & tips, I guessed i'd tell you what worked and what didn't.
                        I'll be back. haha.

Comment

Is it possible that the buzz is actually coming from springs instead of the saddles? How do you have your Floyd adjusted? I've had the springs vibrate when certain notes are played. When that happens, I just loosen the locking nut, reset the fine tuners and re tune the guitar. That has always solved the problem. It is possible that lightly pressing on the saddle may change the tension enough to stop the springs from vibrating.

Comment

I Checked that too, but I'm pretty sure it comes from the "string-holding" part of the saddle.
                            Thanks anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X