Jackson Dinky refinish nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Dinky refinish nightmare

Well someone was unloading this on Ebay for cheap so I figured what the hell... Anyways it appears someone tried that crappy stone finish from a can only this seems more sticky than the stuff I have sprayed before.

They did a sloppy job of filling in a middle pickup with some strange spongy material. Not sure if the guitar had a single or double coil in the neck but it appears to have been filled as well.

Ideally I'd want to strip this down to bare wood and start from scratch and fill the holes in with a block of wood and some glue.

As you can see from the pictures the finish isn't like a thin layer of paint to touch it almost reminds me of being on a roof with asphalt shingles, it has that kind of texture and the stickiness of tar. Looking for the easiest way or removing this disaster of an attempt by someone.

Re: Jackson Dinky refinish nightmare

LMFAO!!!

Dude - some stripper and a plastic scraper or two should get it done for ya.
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

try something like FORMBY'S furniture refinisher. You brush it on, wait while it bubbles up and then scrape it off. Just make sure you do it in a well ventilated area!!!! It will burn your nose hair out!

Comment

I almost bid on that body. Try the FROMBY'S, it should work.

Comment

Tonight's News: "Prehistoric Jackson Body found on ebay" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck with that project. Man, what a mess.

Ben

Comment

Use a sand blaster! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] No? Maybe a belt sander? Ok, I'll be quiet.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Don't use a block of wood. It will shrink, and you will be haunted by lines showing where the recesses used to be. Bevel the edges of the pickup recess and fill it with Bondo, which is designed not to shrink.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Don't use a block of wood. It will shrink, and you will be haunted by lines showing where the recesses used to be. Bevel the edges of the pickup recess and fill it with Bondo, which is designed not to shrink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like significant "shrinkage". Seriously though, I have never heard of wood shrinking. What planet does this occur on?

Comment

If Formby's or the like doesn't do it pick up some "aircraft stripper" from your favorite automotive supply shop. Pretty toxic but it'll strip just about anything.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

What exactly is aircraft stripper? This thing looks like it needs some HCL "hydro-chloric acid" to get this crap off. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Aircraft Stripper? Is that MEK or methyl-ethyl-ketone?
                      We used to use that at work but they stopped stocking it. That is some seriously potent stuff.

Comment

I have used aircraft stripper before and it WILL work. It can be found at your neighborhood Bond Auto. If you don't have one in your area just try any parts store. There is a good chance they will have it. Oh yeah WEAR GLOVES and don't let it touch your skin!

Comment

I should probably mention here that aircraft stripper is also likely to dissolve plastics and dissolve the glue in glue joints so folks who're stripping something other than a 1-piece body should use with caution.
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Nah, don´t worry YAO. That kind of thing only happens to Newc (He wasn´t the seller by any chance, or? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Comment

That looks like a spray-on bedliner finish. Even if it worked, wouldn't it have absorbed all of the vibrations out of the wood?
                              I'll bet your OK with furniture stripper, but you could look up how to clean bedliner overspray from the rhinoliner folks if it doesn't work. We used to use Bix stripper, but I'll bet Formby's is good too.
                              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                              X