Converting string-thru to floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting string-thru to floyd

Hey guys. I kind of like the idea of the SLSMG, but I need to have a Floyd. Would it be very difficult for a pro to make the switch? If not, anyone have a reccomendation of a person to do it and perhaps a ballpark estimate on the cost? Thanks!

Re: Converting string-thru to floyd

It would take a whole lot of routing, and would probably need to be refinished once it is done. Honestly, probably more trouble than it is worth.

Comment

I remember asking this regarding the SLSMG and was told that the SLSMG (or any SLS body for that matter) is MUCH too thin to put a Floyd Rose on. I'd venture a guess that the studs would be too long for the shallow body, or the sustain block would be too long. I dunno. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I'd like to think that it can be converted to a non-recessed configuration since it already has a TOM bridge and I assume a certain neck angle, except using a 32mm sustain block rather than the typical non-recessed value of 42mm.

Comment

How shallow is the body compared to a S-series Ibanez? I know those come with Floyds, and they're wicked thin, too.

A studmount Kahler is also an option, but you probably are set on a Floyd.

Comment

I think the Ibanez S goes thick at the middle so that the Ibanez Edge trems can go on there, does it not? I don't know much about Ibanez guitars though... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

That's why I was asking...I know little about Ibeenhads myself.

Comment

the S series or R series (i forget which) is real thin at the edge, but goes back to a normal body thickness at the middle-almost like having a carved top and carved back at the same time.

Comment

actually, if you routed out the body correctly, you could cut down the length of the sustain block and redrill the holes for the springs. I'm not sure how the much shorter block would affect the feel of the trem though-a topic more for the physicists in the crowd. Regardless, it would definitely devalue the instrument.

Comment

Yes, the S series Ibanez has a thick middle to accomidate the bridge whilst having ultra thin edges to save on weight and supposedly be more comfortable. I always thought the thin edges dug into my leg when sitting.

Comment

Hmm it's too bad I suck at woodworking and don't really have the tools to do it anyway, after thinking about it I'm pretty sure I could make it work. It might just be as simple as shortening AND fattening the sustain block to keep it at a similar mass.

Comment

Working...
                    X