Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parts mutt almost done... how to route pickguard??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts mutt almost done... how to route pickguard??

Working on my parts mutt, just got a San Dimas H/S pickguard routed for one volume and three-way toggle (thanks to John a/k/a Peedenmark7) and it's not cut yet for a trem. What's the easiest way to cut this out so I can fit a Floyd in?
    Body is maybe a Kramer I got from FirebirdV (it's got a semi-recessed Floyd cavity that's padded). Neck is a Carvin I got from Model88. Thanks, guys! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And the pups are DiMarzios... "The Breed" for the bridge (though it's actually a neck model), and a creme "The Cruiser" for the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Parts mutt almost done... how to route pickguard??

Joe,I have a pickguard already cut for a Floyd that I can send you to use as a template,let me know if you're interested!!

Comment

That'll be great, Chuck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] PM on its way.

Comment

PM back atcha bro!!

Comment

that is looking really good tj!

Comment

Thanks, Chris. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just gotta put some finish on the neck, get some pots, a switch and wire it up. I was debating on whether to go with black or chrome hardware, but I think I'll stick with chrome.

Comment

Looks good Joe , glad your putting that neck to use.How do like the profile.
              Mike
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I dig the profile a lot. It seems very similar to my SC90. I lemon oiled the board a little and got some on the back of the neck, so I just put oil on the whole thing and it darkened it up a little. It needs a finish, so I was thinking of tung oil, but I've got a can of Minwax Polyshade laying around that I think I'm gonna use. It's a stain and polyurethane in one, in a Honey Pine color, so I think I'll brush on a coat or two in a few days when I've got some time.

Comment

That is suppose to be their new profile.To me it did not feel all that different from the two older necks that I have.
                  Mike
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Yeah, the SC90 is from 2002. I heard the new one is supposed to be a tiny bit rounder/thicker, but I didn't really notice.

Comment

Looking good so far!

Comment

Thanks. I'll be tackling that flip-flop paint body I got from you soon, Tony. I just gotta order a H/S/H pickguard and get all the parts. I had a Moses Graphite neck for it from MF, but the frets were ridiculously tiny (I'm talking vintage Strat-type frets and not the medium jumbos of the modern Strats that I was hoping for) so I sent it back. I don't have the money for that one now, so I'll just have to wait a couple months.

Comment

Just for information re: the original post. StewMac has some nice templates and tools for routing pickguards. I'm doing my Jake E. Lee. (10 Degree reverse on the top single coil) routs now on a solid black pickguard.
                          And....you mentioned oil finishing. I got some Oil-Urethane from Woodcraft that works fantastic. "Wipe on Wipe off". 8 hours between coats. I use three. Thank you Grasshopper!
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Just for information re: the original post. StewMac has some nice templates and tools for routing pickguards. I'm doing my Jake E. Lee. (10 Degree reverse on the top single coil) routs now on a solid black pickguard.
                            And....you mentioned oil finishing. I got some Oil-Urethane from Woodcraft that works fantastic. "Wipe on Wipe off". 8 hours between coats. I use three. Thank you Grasshopper!

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Thanks for the advice, Mr. Miagi. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Pickguard is in the mail Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X