EMG 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 89

I planning to do this for very long time ...

Now I beg you for some informations before buying anything. Does 89 in humbucking mode really sounds similar to 85? I like 85 in the neck position, but already having one in bridge it doesn't make sense to me to have another exact pickup in the neck position, so I wanted something more special (split-coil).

How do you split coils here? Is it ordinary way for splitting (coil wires grounded)?

Re: EMG 89

It does sound similar to an 85. Keep in mind the position of the pick ups makes a great deal of difference, for your neck pick up for example will sound fatter and warmer, while your bridge pick up will sound clearer and brighter. There is no chance of them sounding the same, so you won't have to worry about that.

EMG also packs a pre-wired push pull pot with the EMG89, I'm assuming you know how the push/pull pot works (the name speaks for itself)

Comment

I've never owned one personally, but it's supposed to sound exactly like an 85 in humbucker mode and an SA in single coil mode... it's essentially the two pickups under the cover. You can split them using a push/pull pot or a mini switch.
      And I think it's the bottom coil that's split for the single coil sound, but I believe Charvel750 mentioned he put the pup in upside down in one of his guitars to have the other side split so it would be a little further from the bridge and not as bright.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think its possible to split an EMG other than using the single coil part of the 89, since EMGs aren't wound the same way as conventional hums.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I don't think its possible to split an EMG other than using the single coil part of the 89, since EMGs aren't wound the same way as conventional hums.

[/ QUOTE ]
          You're right, it's technically not "split" like a normal humbucker would be. It's two pickups under the cover for humbucker and single coil sounds.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            It does sound similar to an 85. Keep in mind the position of the pick ups makes a great deal of difference, for your neck pick up for example will sound fatter and warmer, while your bridge pick up will sound clearer and brighter. There is no chance of them sounding the same, so you won't have to worry about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehm ... I REALLY DO KNOW that part, mister! I had EMG 85 in neck position till I swapped.

[ QUOTE ]
            EMG also packs a pre-wired push pull pot with the EMG89, I'm assuming you know how the push/pull pot works (the name speaks for itself)

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that, too, but I wasn't asking about the switch ... You could read between the lines that I am going to buy a used pickup, so the push-pull pot is a bit optional at second hand trade, isn't it?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, actually it is just about enabling and disabling each of the pickups in the pickup housing?

Comment

It's enabling one or both of the coils under the same housing. If you enable one, its the SA single coil sound. Enabling both would make it sound like an 85.

Comment

Cool! So it's not like Duncans where you ground both of the coils.

Comment

EMGs are internally grounded, so you shouldn't have to run a wire to an external ground such as your bridge. I always liked that since I would have to worry about a dead ground wire that could get me shocked with passives.

Comment

What's wrong with you guys? Confusion is dominating in this thread.

I have EMG's for a couple of years now, but the thing about split-coiling is a bit different at SD pickups, where your extra ground coil wires ... For a coil setup you have to ground it, for humbucking you have to "deground" it.

Comment

no theres a few more wires with the 89....i had one and used it without the push pull pot just a regular vol pot and i believe i had to connect a few wires together. im not sure exactly if the grounding is the same though.
                        www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

from the website it says that even though the push/pull pot is a switch it acts as two seperate circuits. i guess from that i would think maybe that the single mode is independent from the humbucking mode? not sure though hope it helps
                          www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

I have a diagram ... So I'll use that as a guide. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              from the website it says that even though the push/pull pot is a switch it acts as two seperate circuits. i guess from that i would think maybe that the single mode is independent from the humbucking mode? not sure though hope it helps

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yes, I already said that... single coil mode is independent from humbucking mode. It's essentially the 85 and SA in one housing. You can use either a push/pull pot OR a mini switch to switch between them.

Comment

Working...
                              X