Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some serious opinions on refinishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some serious opinions on refinishing.

Some of you may remember me getting this guitar:

Well, it looks great from a few feet away, but close up, the nitro finish is really showing its age. It is checked pretty badly across the whole front and back, and there are chips in the points (just the finish, not the wood). Overall, the nitro is very brittle, and fragile. I took it to Freddy Gabrsek (http://home.cogeco.ca/~freddygabrsek/), and he quoted me $650 Canadian ($537 U.S) for a complete refinish.

I guess I just need to know if that sounds reasonable. Opinions are welcome.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: I need some serious opinions on refinishing.

I've never had a guitar refinished, but that seems like an awful lot. Ae you going for a nitro refin or a more durable "modern" refin?

Comment

dont refin a rare guitar like that.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I've never had a guitar refinished, but that seems like an awful lot. Ae you going for a nitro refin or a more durable "modern" refin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, definitely not!!! I will have it done in something that's a little more durable than donut glaze. Nitro is shite. I don't buy into the BS hype about it being a superior finish. If it doesn't hold up, how is it superior? This is not a Stradivarius violin here, it's a solid maple guitar, so an extra 1/32" thickness on the finish isn't going to make a difference. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          dont refin a rare guitar like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be more of a restoration. I told him I want it exactly the same as it is now.

Comment

It doesn't sound like you want to hear this... but...
            I would leave it as is. Now, to answer your question, I think that the price you were quoted is too expensive. $300.00 - $400.00 sounds more inline with what I would be willing to pay although I wouldn't refinish it.

Comment

Really John? Why not? Keep in mind, this is not a vintage Les Paul, and it's not like I ever plan to sell it anyway. I just hate the fact that it looks so shabby because of a few nicks and scrapes, when it's such an awesome guitar.

I kinda understand where you're coming from. If this were Dimebag's lightning bolt ML, I would not dare touch it. Actually, I would have it in a glass display case. But let's face it, this guitar means more to me probably than to anyone else. It is not a recognizable artifact. Plus, because I actually play it, it is very likely that it will get worse as time goes on because the finish is so brittle.

As for the price, I thought that $300 - $400 was the going rate for just a guitar body. I didn't know that a neck thru was that cheap. Is there some place that would give me a reasonable quote on a refinish?

Comment

I wouldn't refinish it just because it looks old. I like my guitars to age - I'm not interested in trophy pieces. If you wanted to change the paint job, I'd say go for it.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Zeeg, I think the price you were quoted is very fair (if you want it totally stripped and refinned to look exactly as it does now, with a more durable poly finish). I may have an altenative for you if you're willing to take a gamble. There's an experiment I've been wanting to try on an old nitro finish, but I wouldn't be willing to accept any responsibility if it didn't turn out as planned.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Zeeg, I think the price you were quoted is very fair (if you want it totally stripped and refinned to look exactly as it does now, with a more durable poly finish). I may have an altenative for you if you're willing to take a gamble. There's an experiment I've been wanting to try on an old nitro finish, but I wouldn't be willing to accept any responsibility if it didn't turn out as planned.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds rather sinister bro!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll pass, at least until someone else goes first that is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

i think finish checking is cool; i had a 61 melody maker that was checked like crazy, and i dug it. it adds character. i agree that there's certainly more durable things than nitro, but i also think that the guitar will sound different to varying degrees if you refin it.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

BTW the finish is one way i used to tell roman made fakes from the real thing.
                        & yeah i agree with Sully on the checking, old gibbys & Deans always have checking the relic look you dont have to pay extra for...lol

Comment

You know, if it was just the checking, it wouldn't bother me. In fact I agree it kinda looks cool. The thing that really bugs me, is a bunch of chips on the headstock edge that look straight up at me when I'm playing. They are down to the wood, and look awful. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

I'll leave it for now, but if it gets worse, and I can't live with it, it will be done.

Comment

Zee I am with you on that I can't stand the chips and dings it drives me batty I don't know why it just does. I know you shouldn't refinish it but if you are planning on keeping it then it really isn't a big deal if that is what makes you happier. If you ever have thoughts of selling it though don't touch it
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I agree, the checking can give a guitar a cool vibe. I'm with you on the headstock though, I don't really care for headstock finishes that are cracked, chipped etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X