No announcement yet.

18v vs. 9v EMG setups: Which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v vs. 9v EMG setups: Which is better?

Just curious, what's the difference between 18v & 9v EMG set ups? AND DON'T SAY 9 VOLTS!

Can someone give me specifics? Benefits, etc. etc.

Re: 18v vs. 9v EMG setups: Which is better?

From EMGinc.com:

---------------------------

Can I use multiple batteries?

Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.

Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible.

--------------------------

Here again, we will have the discussion of the definitive metal guitar... EMGs wired with 27V in series with many 27V in parallel to last forever. Your guitar body will be ENTIRELY made out of battery packs glued together and wired in series and parallel, providing the ULTIMATE METAL MELTDOWN!!! Your sound will PEEL YOUR FACE AND RIP YOUR TESTICLES OFF!!!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have both my guitars with EMG's wired for 18V. I like it. And NOTP, having that many batteris would be really heavy, why not just plug the fucker into a 110V outlet?

Comment

I also prefer wiring them for 18V... they just sound more alive and more dynamic, have a bit more bite to them. My custom KV has an 85b/81n in 18 and it's my best sounding guitar. I just ordered my one hum XTRR with an EMG 85 with dual battery compartment. Gotta have the 18v.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I love EMGs and have had four guitars with them, but I've only had them wired with just one 9v. Maybe I should try 18v on one of the two remaining guitars I still have with them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

18 volts is betterer. Me like.

Comment

so xeno, did you spec the demon with a dual bat. compartment? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yup. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'm for 18 volts, too. The sound is more open and cleaner in my opinion.

Comment

I am waiting for my LTD Chlorine to land to check the 18 volt out I am stoked... I had EMG's in the bast but only 9 volt [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Thanks for the posts/help.
                      Wil try it out. Can't wait to wire one of 'em up in series (18v) and A/B the two. Fun stuff!

thx

Comment

I guess i am the ODD man out here, i tried the 18 volts with my 81/85 set and liked the standard 9 volt sounds better?
                        I play all metal stuff like slayer,old metallica,testament,king diamond,dimmu borgir [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah I guess you are... I honestly just got my 18 volt and I love it it also may have some to do with the guitar but I really do love the 18v...
                          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

what about an EMG PA-2 gain booster? can i put 18v onto that? anyone has tried that before?

the kent armstrong's in that guitar already f±@£¤¢kin rip even without the gain boost (: (:
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                            X