Buffing a new paintjob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing a new paintjob

I'm going to be painting a new body soon and I need some buffing advice from any of you guys who've done it. What equipment is really needed to get a "new guitar" shine? I've looked at the expensive buffing arbor at Stew Mac that requires the addition of a motor. I also thought about an automotive waxer type buffer, and even looked at just getting a 5 or 6 inch random orbit sander and put a buffing bonnet on it. Then again I could just do it all by hand (ouch).

Any advice on methods to avoid and/or methods to embrace? In a best case scenario, I'll paint about 6 guitars between now and the spring, so a pedestal style buffer is likely overkill. However, I don't mind spending the bucks on the good stuff, if the results are head and shoulders over the more manual methods.

Thanks
    Dave

Re: Buffing a new paintjob

dave, gimme a call; i've found some things that work pretty well.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Buffing a new paintjob

You can use a standard auto(rotary) buffer, the only problem is it is a bitch to buff between the horns(strat style) and the neck joint. If you don't have experience with this type of buffer, Don't try it on a freshly painted guitar. It would be a shame for you to spend all that time refinishing just to have the buffer get away from you and damage yer geetar. I have never used a pedestal buffer but, it looks to be the "safer choice."

Comment

Working...
      X