Review: DD/PG in a Hamer Special FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: DD/PG in a Hamer Special FM

All right, I've had a few minutes to put these pickups through their paces. What more can I say about the Distortion? It's my absolute favorite pickup, especially for the bridge position. It has just the right amount of aggression mixed with tons of versatility. The lows are tight, the mids are perfect, and the highs don't make my ears bleed.

The Pearly Gates is new to me. It just might become my favorite neck pickup. Man this thing rips! It can do shred metal leads as well as a Distortion. It can also handle the Texas blues as it was designed to do. The cleans sparkle like I've never heard before (better than the 59s in my Hamer Artist Korina). The mids are absolutely perfect for the neck position and it doesn't get muddy at the bottom.

Now, together these pickups might not seem a likely match. But let me tell you that they work together as well as any matched set I've come across. Granted, I never use the middle position on the 3 way toggle. But switching between the neck and bridge pickups, there is no volume difference and the tones compliment each other extremely well.

Re: Review: DD/PG in a Hamer Special FM

Cool. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've never tried a regular Pearly Gates, but I've got a Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge of my Double Fat Strat and dig it. I believe it's got an alnico V magnet and more treble and gain than the regular PG with its alnico II magnet. Maybe I'll eventually put in a PG for the neck instead of the '59 that sometimes can get a little muddy.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Review: DD/PG in a Hamer Special FM

Cool review. I have a PG bridge in the neck of my Agile 25000DC and it works well with the JB ceramic in the bridge, which sounds pretty close to the DD only it has the smaller ceramic magnet. The PG is a very underrated pickup IMO.

Comment

Working...
      X