Van Halen freaks...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Halen freaks...........

With all the hype surounding the release of the new MXR phase 90, I went back and really listend to my Van Halen CD.

I don' know if it's me, but it seems like he has this thing on most of the time, not just on leads. With the exception of a few tunes like Runnin with the Devil and one or two others, IT really sounded to me like his Rythm tone had this kind of swoosh to it.

Which brings me to another question, which parts on the record are the Phase 90, and which are the MXR FLanger.

I got the new EVH phase 90, and it really does nail most of the tones on there, but there are a few I just could never get with my phase 90, or the sorry Boss Flanger that I have.

One is the intro to Aint talkin bout love. Is it phase or flange, I have asked this ? many times and I keep getting different answers. If it is the phase 90, how the hell do you set it cause even with one knob , I couldn't get it.

And what about the begining to Atomic Punk ? I can't tell if he just cranked up the phaser a bit for these sounds compared to the Rytyhm tones or if they are Flange.

There are definately some parts in On Fire that sound like a Flanger, but not sure about solo.

If anyone knows this stuff, please tell me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Van Halen freaks...........

Sorry, I can't really help, because most of the swooshy parts in his songs I always thought were flanger and I found out later some were phaser. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] Whenever I've messed with effects, I seem to prefer flanger over phaser. Also, I thought Eddie used an ADA flanger besides the MXR.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey Joe what's up?

Well I have heard from almost everyone that it was an MXR flanger, I don't know myself ,but I do know that the ADA flangers were supposed to be excelent.

Comment

Not much up here, Rick. I've also heard the ADAs were excellent, and the Line 6 MM4 pedal I used to have had a really cool simulation of one that was my favorite flange sound out of all the effects. I could swear I read something about Eddie using an ADA, but maybe I'm mistaken. I also am thinking about getting one of the new phasers, but I'd probably hardly ever use it and just prefer a simple chorus pedal. Chorus, tremolo and wah seem to be the only effects I can't live without.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well I can tell you that the EVh phaser is awesome! I love it especially the script mode, and I also think that the block mode sounds better than my orange one.

My problem now is that I have all these effects and I am no longer in a band and probably will never be.

How or what do you guys do with all this stuff when you aren't in a band and don't really need it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've just been fooling around and not really doing much of anything with this suff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            what do you guys do with all this stuff when you aren't in a band and don't really need it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep it and play it for sheer satisfaction. I'm looking at buying more stuff, even though I hate bandmembers at this point, almost as bad as girlfriends.

I play it, I smile, and I'm happy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Well I can tell you that the EVh phaser is awesome! I love it especially the script mode, and I also think that the block mode sounds better than my orange one.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, really?

Comment

it does sound really good but i was a little embarassed when i bought it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is noticeably smoother than a current stock Phase 90. I've heard you can mod them but I bought the EVH instead.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Atomic Punk is a phaser.

The trick to Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love is to get the delay right in addtion to the phaser.

- Newc

Comment

exactly youve got to time that perfect slapback with the delay

Comment

Someone was mention that he used BOTH phase and flange on that last part of the intro riff. I know there is also a ton of reverb comeing out of the channel opposite the one Eddie is in.

Comment

Hey Tim,

Is the one setting they show you in the manual the one Eddie uses, It sounds to me like he used a ton of different Speeds on VH1.

Another thing I can tell you guys is that with the EVh and some Delay, Ikicked it on and started doing the end of Eruption and thought I was Eddie for a minute! No Kidding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Eddie definitely used several speeds on VH1. I'm pretty sure that Eddie took advantage of the little rubber thing you could put on the speed knob so you could adjust it with your foot.

- Newc

Comment

Weren't there also pedal-controlled units at the time, like a Phaser/flanger in a wah case?

Best Phaser I've heard next to a Japanese BOSS PH-12 is one Korg made called Mr Multi or something like that. It was a wah-type (rocker pedal) with 2 knobs and 3 effects. One knob set the sweep's phase (IIRC) and the other selected between the effects - FLange, Phase, and something else I can't remember now (pedal's long since toasted).

The Flanger wasn't anything special, and whatever the 3rd one was, but that Phaser kicked ass. The footpedal controlled the intensity.
                              Now that I think about it, I think the 2nd knob was for Automatic cycle/Pedal cycle and the 3rd setting on the other knob was a Wah.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X