Bass Suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Suggestion?

So since no one wants to make up shit music wise in my band i'm just gonna go solo and create all the stuff (with help on drum stuff though) so i want to get a bass. I need one thats cheap. The only thing i really care is either the inlays have to be black with maple or pearl/ pearal like. no white plastic ones.

Re: Bass Suggestion?

Don't buy an inexpensive bass because of how it looks, get it for how it sounds and plays. The pretty ones don't sound or play as good as they look, and the plain ones sound and play better than they look.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd recommend a Fender Mexican-Made Precision or an older Jackson Professional Concert 4 or 5 string ("Professional" on head) or maybe a newer/recent Jackson CMG, so you get great looks, great sound, great playability, AND a low price.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I 've also seen 86-88 charvel basses go for very cheap and they play excellent (As i have said many times before i own an 87 3B and love it). Pickups can easily be changed and will alter the sound drastically, but making a bass play better can be much more difficult. A guy that just posted bought a 2B bass for 90 bucks at a pawn shop in killer shape, that is an absolute steal. Good luck.
      "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

If you want a maple fretboard/black dot inlay, and inexpensive, check out an older US made PV Foundation........................

Comment

Check out Schecter's site. Very good stuff for the $$$. I had a Stiletto Elite 4-string that was the s**t.

And I know you like my taste in gear; hope the RR5 is streating you well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

haha ya i love the rr5. such a cool guitar.

Comment

I have an early '90s Jackson Professional Concert V five-string bass--it has the real MOP inlays and plays and sounds very nice. Very good for metal. I even prefer it to the San Dimas Jackson neckthru bass I had before that. The neck on the Concert V is great for playing with a pick, as it is not too thick, and it has narrow string spacing. I got mine for under $300, but they don't seem to come up all that often on eBay. However, there is a Charvel 850xl bass on eBay right now that might be exactly what you are looking for:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Comment

Yamaha RBX-series. They make some amazing basses for the money.

Comment

buy a used Kramer American series bass. they are made in japan by ESP and have killer woods/components. i bought mine for $175. it has a bound ebony fretboard with MOP arrow head inlays, EMG pickups (factory installed), a Leo Quann bridge rcessed into the body, 3 piece maple neck...the list goes on and on. way better than buying a new mexi fender or something.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

here's a neck through like i'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...45407&rd=1

mine is a bolt-on and has 2 vol, 2 tone, but the overall look is the same.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Michael, another thought: since I know you guys are pretty much 7-string only, you probably should focus on 5-string basses. I'd say a trip to Atomic Music up in College Park would be in order this weekend. Their guitar selection isn't what it used to be, but they still carry a sh!tload of used basses. I don't know what they have in stock at the moment, but I'm sure you can find something really cheap there that will do what you need.

Comment

Whatever bass you might be thinking about, make sure you find out how it balances with a strap. I've seen many friends' basses being so neck-heavy that as soon as you take your fret hand off the neck, the neck will nose-dive to the floor.

My friend's Japan-made Spector (NS2-A model) from the 80s is still my fave as bodys go: It balances perfect, with the shape almost hugging your body (very comfortable), and it sounds awesome with EMGs.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Spector NS2-A is one of the best sounding and values can get them for around $300.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            The only thing i really care is either the inlays have to be black with maple or pearl/ pearal like. no white plastic ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I just bought a 5 string MTD for $250 used. It looks like this...

http://www.zzounds.com/media/feed/large/MTDK5M.jpg

It's a pretty nice bass. Long scale, so the low B rings nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X