Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences b/w duncan distortion & DimarzioSuperD

Again, sorry for the flood of pup Qs...

I originally decided on the Dimarzio SD, but it costs far too much here than the states... And there hasn't been any f-spaced superDs on ebay.

Now there's a good deal on a duncan distortion I can get...
    So I'm interested in your opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of these 2 pups? Which one do you like more, and why?

I'm going to be putting in a KE3 bridge.
    Also, I already snagged a vintage super 2 for teh neck. Although I would swap it for something else if I don't like it.

Thanks!

Re: Differences b/w duncan distortion & DimarzioSu

Well, I can't compare the two as the Distortion was my first replacement pickup over 11 years ago. I've never looked back, and any other pickup I've ever purchased has had to be compared to the Distortion. Most of the time, they have fallen short.

Comment

I've used them both and they are both very good pickups.

They are both about the same in output but are voiced differently. The Duncan Distortion is a bright pickup with some upper mids and a fair amount of treble. It cuts pretty well.

The Dimarzio Super Distortion is warmer sounding with more mids, less treble and a pretty pounding bottom end. I find it to be smoother with a little less bite but more grind in the lower frequencies.

You can't go wrong with either IMO.

Comment

I've also heard about the Duncan being brighter, but I've never owned one to really make a comparison. I've heard a couple of the Parallel Axis Distortion Trembuckers on WarriorX7s guitar, and they were pretty nice sounding. I've owned a few DiMarzio Super Distortions and really love them! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You know what, I have one of each sitting out right here in my room. Maybe I'll get around to A/B'ing them for ya. I'm pretty busy this week though.

Comment

In my Sl-2 , the super distortion was the only pup that didn' t sound brite and shrill, including the Duncan dstrtion.

the only Duncan I like is th Full shred, besides they are overpriced and Dimarzio has a better exchange policy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and experience! It's much appreciated.

I might just buy them both, wouldn't hurt huh?

If anyone has any of these in good condition, for sale, please let me know?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                They are both about the same in output but are voiced differently. The Duncan Distortion is a bright pickup with some upper mids and a fair amount of treble. It cuts pretty well.

The Dimarzio Super Distortion is warmer sounding with more mids, less treble and a pretty pounding bottom end. I find it to be smoother with a little less bite but more grind in the lower frequencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much second this. I like the Super Distortion much better.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I haven't played a Duncan Distortion in some time but, from what I remember of it, I prefer the Dimarzio SuperD. Than again, I mostly prefer Dimarzios in general.

Comment

Ive played lots of guitars with duncans, and I never thought they sounded very special at all.

But I was completly floored the first time I heard Dimarzios, when I installed my Air Norton and Fred in my Peavey. DAMN, those sound good! crystal smooth sustain too.

Comment

I will agree with ranallis' take on the differences...
                      your amps voicing plays a role as well though.
                      for my money ,I'd go duncan distortion, it cleans up much better at lower volumes than the super D, cuts through much better , and unless you have a brighter amp to clean up the natural mids it produces, a super D can be too dark....
                      are we comparing apples to apples here though ?
                      doesnt the super D have alnico magnets ?
                      the duncan D has ceramic which is a very different animal ..

Comment

No, the Super D is also ceramic.

Comment

hhhm I thought the 70's distortions were alnico......
                          aside from the dual or X2N in a couple of my old stratheads I havent used a dimarzio since '81 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          well not entirely true, my wayne star had special order dimarzios in it.. sounded very nice but very one dimensional...

Comment

a air norton in the neck does sound great.

Comment

Working...
                            X