mm2002,question about materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mm2002,question about materials

Hey Mark, couple of weeks ago,you were talking to someone about materials to use for filling pickup cavities and then putting some sort of cap on top. What were they? And what kind of sealer/primer do you use after its capped?I wrote it down but can't find it!Do you think Marinetex would work?I bought a couple of butchered bodies on the bay and my son and I are gonna build them up together...Thanks Rev.Timmy
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Re: mm2002,question about materials

What I have used for filling cavities is just regular bondo. The material that seems to work for the "cap" is a very light coat of evercoat polyester glaze. Top coat that with polyurethane primer/surfacer and you should be good to go. The one guitar I didn't use the glaze on did start to show some shrinkage after a couple of months, not bad but it did show a little. I used the glaze on Budmans model 6 and so far it's looking great. I think that's been a couple of months now, and I seriously doubt it's going to change any after that amount of time. The catalyzed glazes and primers do not shrink after they cure, and are very stable, but the wood is what makes it tricky. Hope this helps!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Re: mm2002,question about materials

Thanks Mark! That is what I needed.........
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Working...
      X