anyone here use the lawrence 500XL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here use the lawrence 500XL?

I had never tried one of these proir to now but after the tragedy i started to listen to DIME even more intensively
    I never realized just how good his 500XL sounded.(not to forget to mention his unbelievable talent!)
    I know he switched to duncan but i am refering to CFH and VDOP discs
    where he still had the 500XL in his deans.
    anyone here use the 500XL or tried it in the past?
    can you tell me a bit about it's tone through a tube high gain amp?

Re: anyone here use the lawrence 500XL?

I used to use 500XL's exclusively in all my guitars. They work best through high gain amps (tube or solid state) as they were meant to scream. They used to sound great through a Boogie DC-2 I used to own, but where they really shine is through my Randall RG100SC. This is a fair amp at best IMO, but a real work horse. The BL 500XL Make that amp come alive. Oddly enough, I don't have them in anything I own right now. I'm starting to get BL 500Xl GAS!
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I used to use 500XL's exclusively in all my guitars. They work best through high gain amps (tube or solid state) as they were meant to scream. They used to sound great through a Boogie DC-2 I used to own, but where they really shine is through my Randall RG100SC. This is a fair amp at best IMO, but a real work horse. The BL 500XL Make that amp come alive. Oddly enough, I don't have them in anything I own right now. I'm starting to get BL 500Xl GAS!

[/ QUOTE ]
      hey thanks bro! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      see i have been hearing that there are "fakes" that sound real bad (thin/trebly) if i buy used what should i look for in a real one?

Comment

I used lawrences exclusively back in the late 70's early '80s.. I still use them in my old hamers today, I think they sound awesome in mahogany bodied guitars..
        I have never used them in c/j guitars because to me they sound too brittle in a maple neckthrough..
        The L500XL is hotter than the L500 but it also tends to not clean up as nice and is a bit middier.
        The standard L500 has plenty of power, cleans up nicely and has great clarity when driven, but also leans to the bright side in a heavy or hard wood body.
        your amps quality will factor greatly when using lawrences of any era...
        youre likely not gonna cop dimes exact tone anyway. even if you had his personal amp and guitar, the bulk of his sound comes from his touch and playing style.

if you do buy a lawrence pickup buy them direct from wylde which/who is the real bill lawrence pickup designer.
        877-647-2651
        I would not recommend you buying them from stew mac or from willies ex partner in california as they sound nothing like the originals.... these are easily distinguished having a red jacket lead wire.
        the 2 ex partners companies have battled over the rights to the lawrence name for sometime... willie is bill lawrence. he's treated me right over the years and will do the same for you .
        best, john

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          if you do buy a lawrence pickup buy them direct from wylde which/who is the real bill lawrence pickup designer.
          877-647-2651

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactamundo! Besides, they're only like 50 clams or so. One of the best bang for the buck deals going! You can also take a look here....

billlawrence.com
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I used them (500XLs) in the BC Rich Doubleneck Warlock I built while at BC Rich. It was Mahognay/Maple, and they did sound a bit brittle, even with the Mahogany. I have one in the neck position of my Fusion/Dinky mutt, and it doesn't sound bad in the neck. It gets me the sparkly clean tone I like from the neck/bridge combo position.

Comment

Uhm guys, didn't Dime use the XXL500 which went out of production and was exactly the reason he went to Duncan (well Duncan claims he wanted something different, but I'm not sure)? The L500XL is a great pick up which I use in my Gibson Designer V, especially for lower tunings! It seems the L500XL doesn't sound good in guitars which tend to lean to the brighter side. But anyway Dime did use the L500XL for a while but it was mostly the XXL500 which he used, at least that's the rumour I seem to have picked up from the Duncan forum and other forums

Comment

used them and duncan dimes exclusively till i got on this board
                now i´ve got gas and too many guitars [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                i do quite hard buying that many blade-buckers for all of my guitars
                other duncans (like the tb6) do also very well for me
                but i love my bladers the most
                that 500xl randall comination ist really a great thing [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                andy

Comment

Working...
                X