Widening nut slots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widening nut slots

I noticed that the high E, B, and G strings get a little caught in the nut while tuning and it's annoying. This is probably cause the factory had the nuts cut for 9-42 and i'm using 10-52. Anyway, anyone know how I can keep the strings from getting caught?

Re: Widening nut slots

See if you can wedge some fine sandpaper in the slots and work it back and forth to widen them. It shouldn't take too many strokes to widen them. Other than that some graphite lube might work.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Nut files are expensive, but they're the right tool. Next time you change strings use your old strings to sort of "floss" out the nut until they move freely. That works better for worund stings, which sort of have teeth, but you can rough up plain(smooth) strings with sandpaper.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Nut files are expensive, but they're the right tool. Next time you change strings use your old strings to sort of "floss" out the nut until they move freely. That works better for worund stings, which sort of have teeth, but you can rough up plain(smooth) strings with sandpaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, BUT be careful with the downward pressure. You don't want to make the slot deeper while you're widening it. Slow and easy is mandatory with nuts.

Comment

"nut-file" sounds like a great insult [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Slow and easy is mandatory with nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell the ladies this all the time! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

To continue the degenerative thread, I have a tendancy to 'widen the nut slot' sometimes if you know what i mean [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, 'floss' with an old string and use graphite lube as Ace said. For unwound strings that should help. (E, B, G)

I goofed with a nut file on the 'D' of my elite strat, and get a shitty buzz on a bunch of frets now. bw careful if you go that route, but sometimes it's the only way.
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

if you accidentally cut them too deep, you can put a drop of supper glue in there and refile it after it dries-a toothpick or pin makes a good applicatoer.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  if you accidentally cut them too deep, you can put a drop of supper glue in there and refile it after it dries-a toothpick or pin makes a good applicatoer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually done this with 2 part epoxy. I find it a bit easier to use than super glue because of its longer cure time...and I don't instantly bond my fingers to the guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Using the oversized string with some graphite like you're flossing, as has been mentioned, is really the perfect solution. Too much pressure with a nut file, and you might have problems.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The sandpaper suggestion works well also. I use 400-600 grit so I won't take the edges down too fast and it's tough to accidentally deepen the slot this way.

Ace can sanity-check me on this statement: You'll eventually have this problem on most if not all guitars with non-locking nuts. As you tune, bend, and use the trem (if you have one) the strings are carving little burrs off the sides/bottom of the slots and those will eventually lead to binding problems. This happens more/faster on guitars that don't have straight string pull (e.g., Jackson pointy-heads) because the strings are being pulled against the edges of the slots already and their motion is carving off relatively more material. Or at least so I've heard.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        you can put a drop of supper glue

[/ QUOTE ]

"supper glue" it's whats for dinner!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                        "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

oops! well, it works for fixing broken diner plates too...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Ace can sanity-check me on this statement: You'll eventually have this problem on most if not all guitars with non-locking nuts. As you tune, bend, and use the trem (if you have one) the strings are carving little burrs off the sides/bottom of the slots and those will eventually lead to binding problems. This happens more/faster on guitars that don't have straight string pull (e.g., Jackson pointy-heads) because the strings are being pulled against the edges of the slots already and their motion is carving off relatively more material. Or at least so I've heard.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Dr. Ace's Diagnosis:
                            YAO has displayed some intelligent comments in this particular post. It is true that non-straight string pull guitars are more prone to this problem than straight string pull guitars. However, with frequent string changes and maintanece, this does not necessarily happen to every guitar. Many guitars never experience this problem. However, if you have an old enough guitar and change strings often enough you will eventually wear the nut slots down to the point of buzzing on the first fret.

This correct information from YAO is obviously channeled from some great demon of guitar wizardry. However the fact that he spends most of his waking hours wearing a giant sign saying "THE END IS NEAR!! GALGAMECKS WILL RULE US ALL!!" and preaching the apocalypse, I cannot as of this date approve of his release from the facility to which he is now committed.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X