Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pickups setup

Hi there!

I just bought a Dk2 dinky wich I think is a pretty good instrument for the price. Now, I was wondering if I could change the pickups setup ( H-s-s ) to H-H and how much it would cost approximatly? Thanks!

Re: Changing pickups setup

Wel, it would require the filling of the middle SC slot, routing out the neck HB slot, and refinishing the top, possibly applying a veneer to cover any tell-tale signs of the wood filler. Mostly a labor-intensive project. YOu could do the filling and routing yourself, but the refin is best left to a pro or very experienced amateur. YOu might be better off returning the DInky and exchanging for a two-hum model like the DKMG or DXMG whichever it is.

THe other option is to replace the neck SC with a mini-humbucker type-hot rails, JB jr, lil 59, etc. Much less costly, and less permanent.

Comment

Ok thanks. The problem is that I'm lefty and the DKMG and DXMG models aren't availaible left-handed. How are those mini-humbuckers? Anyone has one?

Comment

My SL3 has the SD Hot Rails in the middle and neck positions and I like them very much. They definitely sound better than the EMG-HZ's on the DXMG.

Comment

I'm a lefty too, but I play right handed. I6t is amazing to me that more guitars are not available left-handed these days.

I personally have an SD lil 59 (neck position) in my fusion, and it does sound very much like an LP. Think like CCR type stuff-not a very high output pickup, but enough grit to sound good either clean or overdriven. Great for a general classic rock/blues tone.

I also have an SD JB jr in the neck position on a model 4 mutt and it sounds amazing. Very good chugga chugga sounds, but still pretty smooth sounding on non-muted chords. A very warm sounding pickup, which surprised me because I find the full size JB in the bridge position to be rather shrill sounding. If I could go back in time to the day I bought it on sale for 40 bucks, I would buy a few more. If metal is your game, I'd go with this one.

I also have a Carvin TBH60 in thre neck position of my HM strat-it has more of a compromised sound between an SC and an HB-not real bright, not real warm, just a good sounding pickup overall, and you can't beat the prices.

hope that helps a little.

Comment

The mini-hum is the way to go. I've got Cool Rails, Hot Rails, and Vintage Rails in my various guitars. I've also used the Lil 59s. Personally, the Rails pickups are my favorite. If you want all out metal shred with a fat rhythm chug, go for the Hot Rails. If you want something a little more bluesy/rock that can do the metal thing with the right amp while also maintaing a cool PAF type clean, go with the Cool Rails. The Vintage Rails is the closest humbucker to a true Strat single coils I've come in contact with.

I've got a Hot Rails/Cool Rails/Distortion set-up in my Charvel 650xl. That would make your DK-2 an extremely versatile blues/rock/shred machine.

Comment

Thanks! Your replys were very helpful!I think I'll go for the SD Hot Rails for the middle and maybe the Cool Rails for the neck. What do you guys would recommend me for the bridge? Passives would be better in my case (Hot and Cool rails are passives)and I'm seekin for a thrash metal and heavy tone. Anyone has a LimeWire metal humbucker? I heard that it's THE passive high output humbucker.

Comment

the livewires are Sd's actives and are supposed to be SUPER hot. I'm not sure that you can mix them with passives though.

There are alot of great high output bridge pups out there. Jb's are a popular one, Duncan distortions, Invaders, DImarzio Super threes, Lawrence XL 500's, Dimebuckers, etc.

The Jackson J-series pickups can be had fairly cheap here on the board. Whatever the stock one in my model 4 is has a good metal tone-J50 i believe?

Comment

I'm telling you, dude, the Distortion is the pickup for you. It'll handle what you're looking for and I know for a fact that it balances well with the Hot/Cool Rails. Out of curiosity, why the Hot in the middle and the Cool in the neck? (mine are the other way around)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Anyone has a LimeWire metal humbucker? I heard that it's THE passive high output humbucker.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're active, not passive. I described them a day ago or so in a diff thread... I'll cut and paste for you:

The bridge was somewhere between an 81 and 85 on steroids. It had a really nice tonal band. Good deep lows, crunchy mids and blistering highs. Think EMG in 18v with a PA2 or Afterburner going through an overdrive. They made a lot more noise than an EMG, but had over the top distortion. Edgy like a serrated knife. Counting both the neck and bridge, a little more versatile range than an EMG combo, but not necessarily in a better way.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

SOunds like you could really do some serious damage with those livewires....maybe I'll see if Santa leaves me enough cash to try them out.

Comment

Damn...I tought LiveWires were passives...I'll chek out for the JB or Distortion then. Maybe a Jackson too. Anyways..Thank guys! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey FmetalD;

Welcome to the JCF and search for lefties. The Dk2's are bice but I think if you look for some early 90's Charvels, you'll find that you'll never play a Dk2 again. I've already sold mine. I've got a 'few' lefties (on my website)and the only H/H is my SL2H.

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com
                          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Where can I get informations about 90's Charvels?

Comment

i have a no name "rails" type mini-humbucker in neck position on one of my gits and i really like it.
                              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                              X