Pickup recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendations

Hey everybody, I need some input. I bought a 88 Snakeskin Strat from Nick (kmanick) 2 months ago and I like it except for the bridge pup. Neither of us are sure what it is but it needs to go. I have a 86 model 6 and love the bridge pup sound - but not the hiss! What is a passive bridge pup that will have the output, thickness, sustain, etc. of my model 6 hum without the noise? Thanks!
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Re: Pickup recommendations

your model six still have the preamp in it? The noise could be coming from that rather than the pickup itself. Humbuckers by nature are pretty darn quiet, if not silent. However, if you are playing through a cranked amp, or have the gain way up, a certain amount of hiss is almost inevitable. I have the stock bridge pup in my model 4, but have removed the mid boost circuit and it is dead quiet. The J-series pickups tend to be of real good quality, and JCF'rs are always selling them in the classifieds.

My suggestions for aftermarket pups that sound good are as follows:

SD-Lynch Screamin' Demon-not high output, but great sounding.

Dimarzio-Super 3-High output, good lows and mids, not as trebly as a Super Distortion or JB (in my opinion!)Nice thick tone with heavy distortion-Phil Collen uses them, think Def Leppard tone.

I'm sure the Duncan Distortion and APC persuader will be mentioned soon....hee hee

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      your model six still have the preamp in it? The noise could be coming from that rather than the pickup itself.

[/ QUOTE ]That's what I'm thinking, too. It happens because of the battery powering the actives. EMGs are also like that, but the slight hiss is only heard when not playing... you just turn down the volume control and it goes away.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was going to say, the only noise a pickup actually creates is feedback if the coils vibrate. Other than that, all other noise is introduced to the pickup by outside sources (lights, monitors, TV REMOTE CONTROLS, watched ticking, etc.) The hiss has to come from somewhere else in your signal chain.

Comment

My model 6 is stock, so it has the preamp. Next time I play it, I'll turn the mid-boost all the way down and see the difference. Thanks.
          Back to a pup for the Snakeskin Strat:
          I have played an LTD Lynch Tiger w/the Screamin' Demon and I did like it! I had an SL2H for a couple weeks and did NOT like the bridge pup - too weak and trebly. What about the Tone Zone?
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Cough**Duncan Distortion**Cough. Got one in my 650xl and it rips the public a collective new rectal cavity. Well, that is it would if I played out in public.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Cough**Duncan Distortion**Cough. Got one in my 650xl and it rips the public a collective new rectal cavity. Well, that is it would if I played out in public.

[/ QUOTE ]

cough**+1**cough [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

John I ws jamming on my GMW tonight and I've got to tell you this Custom -5 sounds great! it's not super hot but it's loaded with tone, and it cleans up real nice when you roll back on the guitars volume.Nails the VH brown sound thru my little Marshall combo.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

cough***told you so****cough....

Comment

if you want to check out a tone zone the music man axis bridge pickup is supposed to be real close to a tone zone

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      cough***told you so****cough....

[/ QUOTE ]

cough**you so smart**cough [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                        X