Locking tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking tuners

I have sperzels on all my guitars, but they were ordered that way, or a tech drilled and replaced them for me.

I have a couple of jackson's with the regular jackson tuners on them, is there a locking tuner that I can just drop in place? The sperzels require drilling a hole and I don't want to do that, and I don't want to pay a tech either.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Re: Locking tuners

Check out stew-mac.com

They have a bunch of different locking tuners from all the major manufacturers (gotoh, grover, schaller, etc.)

Comment

Matt, I tried looking into this several months ago. Busdriver mentioned that Gotoh makes a locking version of the same standard tuners J/C uses.

I special ordered a set and, unfortunately, it is NOT a drop-in replacement. The shaft that goes through the headstock is bigger on the locking version. It'd require some drilling to fit. The locking mechanism is pretty cheesy, IMHO, too. I could've lived with the latter if it were a drop-in replacement but, since they're not, I sent them back.

As best as I've been able to find out, there are no "no mod" drop-in replacements for the Gotohs. Sorry, bro.

Comment

I don't drill the hole when I mount Sperzels. Just pull the roll pin out with a pair of pliers, line em up by eye and snug them down. You still need to open the bushing hole a tad, though.

Comment

Maybe Schaller. Jackson gets tuners specially made for them by Schaller that should fit their standard tuner config. Its a long shot but maybe you can get a set of the Schaller locking from the custom shop.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

grover locking tuners will drop in, but the screw location may be different.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks all.... any experience with the Planet Waves?
              ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I wouldn't mess with the Planet Waves...my tech hates them and I've never had any customers who really liked them either. It seems like that blade would wear out after snipping the strings and you'd have to replace them after a while. Really I don't like locking tuners much anyway, I feel that the difference they make in tuning stability is marginal at best.

Comment

The screw tab hole won't line up on the planet waves either. They are slightly off.
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Ive heard bad things about the Planet Waves ones.

Planet Waves has some innovative ideas, but constuction quality is iffy.

I have some Schallers, that are really nice. Sperzels are probably the best of the bunch, they are also the ones who first made the locking tuners.

Comment

Working...
                    X