Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kelly Speed Neck vice Jackson Standard Neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Speed Neck vice Jackson Standard Neck?

Hi All,

I was searching the forum but could not find the answer to this question:

What is the difference between the Kelly speed neck and a standard Jackson neck?

If anyone could help me out on this question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rufue
    Jackson: DK1
    Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Re: Kelly Speed Neck vice Jackson Standard Neck?

According to the specs on the Jackson website, the Kelly neck is 0.015" thinner than the Soloist neck.

Comment

Right, an extremely negligible difference.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

It's small, but I don't think I would call it negligible. If you pick up 2 of the same model guitar you'll probably notice a slight difference in the necks, and that's probably only like .005"

Comment

It's not a Kelly Speed Neck, it's just a "Speed Neck". It is standard on the KV2 as well.

They really are noticably thinner.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like the speed neck is just a little bit thinner. I am putting together some specs for a soloist. I might try and see if I can get a speed neck on it.

Thanks,

-Rufue
            Jackson: DK1
            Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

If you want a really thin neck, go with the DK1's specs.

Comment

I don't know, I own 'em all and I can't tell the difference. They feel the same to me. Great necks regardless, and yes, I still argue that .015" is negligible.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Rounder, thicker neck profiles are so much better to play. Thinner necks tend to give people hand fatigue. I've got smaller hands but tend to like beefier necks (like a rounded LP '59 profile). I still like my Dinky's neck, but it's a little too thin and bothersome when playing it after playing a thicker neck beforehand.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I ordered a KV2, thinking I'd like the speed neck better since I have somewhat small hands. Wrong. I don't know if it was just the neck profile, or also the smaller frets on the KV2 (not sure if that's still the case), but I could not get used to it. I like the thin necks on the `90s imports, but the speed neck was just not quite right for me. I like the Soloist profile better.

Does the DK1 really have a thin neck? I have a couple of bolt-on USAs and the necks are pretty close to a Soloist.
                    sigpic

Comment

Toejam - I don't mind thicker necks, like my PC1. But I do find just the opposite happening to me. My fretting hand tends to fatigue and cramp more with a thicker neck profile. Not often and you can adjust, but it is noticeable. That doesn't happen with my thinner necks. Depsite my big hands, I definitely prefer thin backshapes.

Inazone - See here for the neck measurements:

http://www.jcfonline.com/resources/c...ize/Page46.jpg

Note that the DK1 has the thinnest profile measurements of the entire USA line. (...I continue to be amazed that more people don't pay attention to this part of the catalog / resources here. IMHO, it's strange, given how many discussions there are on neck preferences. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] )

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Rounder, thicker neck profiles are so much better to play. Thinner necks tend to give people hand fatigue. I've got smaller hands but tend to like beefier necks (like a rounded LP '59 profile). I still like my Dinky's neck, but it's a little too thin and bothersome when playing it after playing a thicker neck beforehand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I actually like narrow but thicker necks....makes playing so much more comfortable for me. Even a fat Les Paul Custom neck I can deal with as long as it's narrow...if the neck is flat and wide my hands just cramp...

Comment

Am I the only one that can't read the text on that page very well? Anyway I just use the individual specs on the Jackson site. It's true the DK's and for some reason the RR3 have the thinnest necks, then the Warrior Kelly and KV's, then Soloists and Rhoads. I think it's funny that the Soloists have the thickest necks of the USA series.

Comment

Working...
                          X