No announcement yet.

How would I wire my pickups to do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would I wire my pickups to do this?

I've got a DXMG with SD Custom bridge and 59 neck pickups. I've got a jazz neck coming. When I put the new pickup in, I'm interested in using a 5-way enclosed lever switch and having the following options for the lever positions:

1. neck split
    2. neck humbucking
    3. neck humbucking + bridge humbucking
    4. bridge humbucking
    5. bridge split (or possibly neck split + bridge split)

This is the lug configuration of the switch:
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    1 2 3 0 0 1 2 3

First, I need to know are these combinations possible with what I have. Second, if so, where do my pickup wires need to go? I understand the wiring of the pots so that can be left out of the explanation if possible.

Re: How would I wire my pickups to do this?

Sounds like you may need a 5 way super switch. I'm not sure if a normal 5 way would do what you want. You could also try using push/pull potentiometers for the coil splitting. I don't wire pickups every day, so I don't know what would be soldered to what. Check the schematics section on Duncans site.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Sounds like you may need a 5 way super switch. I'm not sure if a normal 5 way would do what you want. You could also try using push/pull potentiometers for the coil splitting. I don't wire pickups every day, so I don't know what would be soldered to what. Check the schematics section on Duncans site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't want to go with push-pull pots. I've got one volume and one tone pot and I don't want to drill any more holes. I've looked at the Duncan schematics before and they don't have exactly what I'm looking for. I just looked at a 5-way super switch on Guitar Parts Resource and it looks like a definite possibility. Any comments on that?

Comment

I believe he means change out your volume and tone for push-pulls. That way you don't have to drill anything.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I believe he means change out your volume and tone for push-pulls. That way you don't have to drill anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Oh yeah. I know. I just prefer to keep my volume and tone pots.

Comment

A regular 5-way won't do it. A regular 5-way is basically a regular 3-way switch. Positions 2 and 4 are bridges for connections 1 and 3 and 3 and 5.
            You will need a MegaSwitch or Jackson Special 5-way switch to do that.

I haven't used the switch mentioned above, only the Jackson.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Damn! That super switch thingie is complicated. If I would have stayed in electrical engineering in college, it would be simple. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

There's a super switch schematic on the Seymour Duncan forum that I'm going to look at and try to figure out what's going on. Any more help will be appreciated.

Comment

I have used this one and liked it.

Comment

I've seen that one before. That could work for me if there was some way to take the bridge humbucker out of the equation in Position 4. I'm getting the SD jazz which I read sounds very strat-like split so I would like to isolate it.

Comment

Here's the Duncan thread I mentioned earlier:
                    http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...t=super+switch

Here's some info on the Super Switch
                    http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-3200.html

Comment

Are you sure both pickups are 4-conductor wiring? If they're not, they can't be split.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Are you sure both pickups are 4-conductor wiring? If they're not, they can't be split.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. My custom and the incoming jazz are 4-conductor pickups. The outgoing 59 is a single conductor. I've read you can make a single conductor into a 4-conductor, but that's further than I care to go.

Comment

Cool. I wasn't sure how common the Jazz 4-conductor was. I know most '59s are single but you can order them 4 from Duncan. The '59/Pearly Gates Plus in my Double Fat Strat are 4 with the super five-way switch, and that rules!! It's bridge pup, inner coils of both pups, both full humbuckers, top coil of neck, full neck pup. You can do just about any splitting option with a super five-way or megaswitch.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Don't be too afraid of the super switches. They are a 4 pole, double wafer switch to get more options. As long as you know what gets wired where, they can really create some cool tones. You should just get one from allparts or something, and ask the people at Duncan how to wire it the way you want.

Comment

I believe I've come up with a schematic using the super switch which might work for the following configuration:

1. bridge split
                              2. bridge series (normal humbucking)
                              3. bridge series + neck series
                              4. neck series
                              5. neck split

I noticed that the bridge pickup corresponds to the first position on schematics I have seen so I reversed my original order.

I'll try to post it tomorrow with an explanation and, hopefully I can get some feedback on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X