Pickup change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup change?

Hey there. Try some EMG's, i think there one of the best pickup's out today.
    - John

Re: Pickup change?

AMen, I totally agree with you bro, I got my SL2H and I loved it but the damn JBs are thin and trebly....I have a post going.....I think Im gonna end up putting a EMG 85 on the bridge, havnt decided what Im gonna put on the neck, either 85 or 81

Comment

I had the same problem when I got my SL-2, Try a Dimarzio Tone ZOne, they cost less than the EMGS
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

i would have to say the new sd,custom 5 or the custom custom
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I swapped the JB in my SL-4 for a Dimarzio Tone Zone and was very happy with the switch. Much fatter and more bass. I have emg's in several guitars and like those too. I think the JB is a bit thin for this type of guitar, although I think they sound great in a les paul.

Comment

I've heared EMGs can turn your guitar into a wailing monster, but some say they suck the tone out and sound flat or lifeless...which is it?

Comment

My experience is with EMG 81's in the bridge, so this is all I can comment on. IMO the 81 is pretty much a one trick pony. It's great for playing full on metal (wailing monster), but not much else. If you only play metal, you'll probably love it. If you play rock, the tone zone is much more diverse. It doesn't scream quite as hard as an EMG 81, but is much warmer sounding at a lower gain. You can do more rock sounds where the EMG is lacking. It really depends what you are looking for and what you like.

Just my two cents. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Pickup change?

I recently got an SL2H and it plays real great, but I'm not totally digging the sound from my bridge pickup(Seymour Duncan JB). It sounds too trebbly and sort of harsh for my tastes. I'm looking for a pickup that sounds a little smoother and warmer i guess. I play mostly lead shreddy type stuff. I'm not totally sure of exactly what kind of tone I'm looking for but I really like Jason Becker's sound. I also dig Skid Row's tone and Warrant's tone. Any suggestions?

Comment

you can play any type of music with emg's!

every pickup has its own sound. and every guitar has its own sound. your wood type, density, shape, and strings, affect your sound first and formost, then the pickups then the amp. i recomend you put an 81 in the neck. then you can rip metal or blues or whatever you want. in the bridge its a toss up between the 85 and 81. if you want single coil abilities then go with the 89. but emg is not a metal only pickup company. it is just a great pick up company.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                    you can play any type of music with emg's!

every pickup has its own sound. and every guitar has its own sound. your wood type, density, shape, and strings, affect your sound first and formost, then the pickups then the amp. i recomend you put an 81 in the neck. then you can rip metal or blues or whatever you want. in the bridge its a toss up between the 85 and 81. if you want single coil abilities then go with the 89. but emg is not a metal only pickup company. it is just a great pick up company.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Amen! KISS were using EMG's very early on and had some when the EMG logo was HUGE and sort of covered the whole pickup? Did they play metal or rock? Sounded like rock to me. EMG's are very versatile. To think they are not is like thinking Jacksons are only for metal. An SL2 with EMG's is a good guitar for any band.

Comment

Another amen for EMGs! Two of my Jacksons have them... 81/85 and 85/60. I just love the 85 in the bridge over the 81, but both are awesome. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

EMG's are definetely not one trick pony's. I use them from Blue to Jazz to Classical, works great. Better than my JB did, thats for sure.

Comment

Didn't mean to get everyone in an uproar. EMG's are great pickups. I have them in 3 guitars right now. You can get a broad variety of sounds with the EMG line. If you read my post, I was ONLY refering to the EMG 81 as a bridge pickup. I do believe, however, that the 81 is a one trick pony, although that's not a bad thing in my opinion. I'd rather have a pickup that's awesome for what I want than one that does everything mediocre or even just good.

Comment

I'm kind of out on 81's too. I swapped my EMG's around from the usual 81 bridge/85 neck to 85 bridge/81 neck. Finally, we have some BASS. 81's seem way too thin for bridge use to me, but it's nice in the neck.

Comment

You know, I had the same problem, this damn JB sucks in my guitar.

What I did was put the jb in the neck, and man, hit was a nice sound, not the best, but good, then i tried the neck in the bridge (forget what is standard in Sl2Hs) and it wasnt good.

I am going to have to try an 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck, prolly sounds killer from the way you guys talk.

Comment

Working...
                              X