Bridge P/U in a Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge P/U in a Les Paul

I need some suggestions for a good pick for a Les Paul. I've got a Duncan Custom in it right now, but it's a touch muddy for me. The sound I'm after is more like my Soloist with a JB in the bridge, Bright and Crunchy sounding. I just don't think the JB would work in this though as it's a lot heavier guitar and Mahogany instead of Alder. What do people think of a Distortion for this application? I'm not looking for over the top Zakk Wylde type sounds (or I'd get EMGs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), but something with definite crunch and balls to it.

Thanks

Re: Bridge P/U in a Les Paul

My awnser would be a vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Comment

I had the JB/'59 in my old Hamer... I thought the JB was lacking low end (and the guitar was all mahogany with a 3/8" maple top). I put in an EMG 81 set and it helped a lot. In my Les Paul Studio that's all mahogany, even the carved top, I put an 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck... great, well-balanced sound all around! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      For staying passive, though, I think the JB would be fine for your LP. Though, I'd personally go for a DiMarzio Super Distortion.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Is there really much of a difference between the older and newer Super Distortions or is it marketing hype?

Comment

I haven't A/B'ed them myself, but I have friends(pros) who swear there is a big difference.

Comment

Well you know what I think about the Distortion. It's a do-it-all kind of pickup. If you want crunchy balls, the DD will slap them on your chin like no other.

Comment

Working...
            X