Which Jackson to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Jackson to buy?

Yay, first post [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Well, I've been lurking here for a few weeks while trying to convince my (supposedly) better half that I definitely need a new guitar. This'll be my first Jackson, and since nobody seems to carry the USA models here in Norway, I figured I'd fire off a few question to help me make the correct choice.

I've already narrowed down the search by filtering my visual/functional preferences which are: Original Floyd Rose, black hardware, no pickguard, and I'm bored of str@t style bodies. Money and time permitting I would include reverse headstock and single humbucker too, but Custom Shop doesn't sound to appealing in those terms.

So the models I'm torn between are: KE2, WR1 and KV2. They're priced equally, so that won't be an issue. As for my playingstyle, I guess I'm the rythm guitarist prototype; no shredding what so ever, mid tempo harmonies is about as far as I'll go (Hetfield style [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

On to my concerns:

Neck profile
    Two issues here:
    a) Does the three models differ much in this respect?
    b) If so, will KE3, KVX10 and WRMG (which my dealer actually has in stock) be any indication of their "big brothers" so I can base my choice on them?

Pickups
    My 3 canditates are set up with different pickup configurations
    KE2: TB4 (B) & SH2N (N)
    KV2: TB4 (B) & SH2N (N)
    WR1: TB8 (B) & SH10 (N)
    I have to admit I know nothing at all about any of these. What I *do* know is that with my previous guitars I've ripped out whatever they shipped with and popped in EMG 81's. Is that still they way to go so I simply should disregard the pickup issue, or are they keepers, and if so how would their characteristics be described?

Balance/weight
    Any opinions on the different models weight distribution? I seem to remember a few posts mentioning the KE2 or WR1 (Can't remember which) has a tendency to dive, fact? Also, I move quite a bit on stage, so if there's a significant difference in overall weight between them, that would be good to know too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Availabilty
    I found this forum via onlinestagegear.com, so with with the USA Select Series being priced @ $5000 here in Norway (they haven't even lowered the MSRP after USD lost 30% value vs. NOK ffs), I'll probably end up ordering from there. The question might be suited better for an e-mail to Matt, but I'll add it here to keep it all in one place. Norwegian dealers operate with a 4 month delivery time on any high end Jackson. Does this apply to US dealers too (so I should look up a dealer having the model I decide on in stock and accept not getting the lowest price to reduce waiting time), or does Jackson keep a select line of models in stock for quick delivery to dealers? And if so which models?

I guess that's about it, any and all help will be greatly appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Thanks.

Re: Which Jackson to buy?

Maybe this will help. The KV2 has the standard, smaller frets, while the KE2 and WR1 have jumbos. Welcome to the board and good luck!
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

The KE2 has some balance issues from what I've heard, haven't tried one myself so I can't say for sure. I can tell you the Warrior balances beautifully when standing or sitting. The WR1 also comes with pretty beefy pickups, so you may actually want to keep them.

Availability is the issue, if a dealer doesn't have it in stock you have to wait until that colour/graphic is made again, so if you want it sooner than later you'll have to find someone who has what you want in stock.

Comment

Im from sweden, I bought my Jackson SL2H from www.drumcityguitarland.com, it got here in PERFECT condition. I really recommend you email Jason at drumcityguitarland and check with him, they also have the best prices and biggest variety, I only had to wait 3 months for a Pile of Skullz LEFT HANDED soloist.....other places wanted me to wait over a year!!!!!!!!

lycka till
        Eric the wannabe

Comment

The KV2 also has a thinner "speed neck", but not having tried a KE2 or WR1, I can't say how it compares. The import versions that you mentioned are all bolt-on, and will balance differently from the neck-thru USA models, but it would be worth comparing them to see if you're actually comfortable with the various body shapes. I've owned Epiphone and Hamer Explorer copies in the past and sold them because I just couldn't get used to the shape, but the Rhoads and King V shape present no problem to me.
          sigpic

Comment

malmsteenwannabe: so you ordered one from drumcityguitarland... how much did it cost with shipping and taxes included?

If I'm not mistaken, the WR1 has an unfinished neck, doesn't it?

Anders
            https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Sorry guys for taking this in Norwegian [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hei

Jeg har ikke prøvd ut KV2 eller WR1, så de kan jeg nok ikke fortelle deg noe om, men jeg har en KE2 og den kan jeg i hvert fall fortelle litt om

Mikrofonene i KE2'en er etter min mening veldig stille, dvs at det ikke blir mye unødvenig støy, kun tonen som skjærer igjennom. Dette gjelder også med vreng. EMG har jeg ikke noe spesielt kjennskap til, så for meg blir det umulig å sammenlikne. Men SD-mikrofonene låter veldig bra etter min mening

KE2 er nok den gitaren hvor hodet faller mot bakken da du slipper taket i halsen, men dette er noe man venner seg fort til. I sittende stilling faller den ikke ned. Tror forrøvrig Kellyen er tyngre enn de andre.

Anbefaler deg virkelig å kjøpe hos Matt @ Onlinestaggear, det var der jeg kjøpte min gitar. Tror faktisk han er billigst på Jackson i verden. Og så er han veldig hyggelig og hjelpsom

Comment

w00t, quick responses here, thanks all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PowerTube: Are you sure about that? The Jackson site lists all 3 as jumbo fretted.

Genebaby: Yeah, the KE2 it was. Might have to cut that one off the list if that's the general opinion.

Malmsteenwannabe: Checked drumcityguitarland, and they actually have a black KV2 in stock. Might have to find out what they want for it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Inazone: I plan to take all 3 for a spin before I make up my mind anyway, mostly as you say to test thet I can actually play on them lol.

[EDIT] @ BK: Har også hørt bare godord om Matt så planen var å handle hos ham, men jeg tror jeg velger å betale litt mere om jeg kommer i den situasjonen at jeg kan slippe å vente i 3mnd. Det er jo så "billig" uansett. Hva endte du opp med inkl. frakt btw? (PS. Du er ikke Dagbladet fra VGD tilfeldigvis vel? I såfall er det fra deg jeg fikk ideen til dette "stuntet" via min lurking der [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

[ February 20, 2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Shaitan ]

Comment

You guys read that ?? He found the forum through MY website [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Matt

Comment

Aye I did [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Now please tell me you have a black KV2, KE1 or WR1 on order for delivery within a month or so [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Would make chosing one so much easier hehe.

Comment

Jason hasn't replied to the past 4 or so emails I've sent him(it's been a good couple of months)... don't what's up with that... if he would just list his prices on the site then I would stop bothering him... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

MATT @ ONLINE STAGE GEAR

Comment

Jo, jeg er tilfeldigvis Dagbladet på vgd [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tror ikke du får gitaren noe spesielt raskere enn 3 måneder, fordi det som regel ikke er noen forhandlere som har inne gitarer (i hvert fall ikke dem man ønsker seg...), men legger inn bestillinger fra Jackson, og da er ventetiden omtrent 3 måneder. Grunner til at norske nettsteder (marios.no?) skriver 4 måneder er sikkert at de forventer at det vil gå en måned ekstra med fortolling (noe de helt sikkert ikke klarer). For meg tok det litt over 6 måneder fra jeg bestilte gitaren til jeg hadde den i hånda

Jeg betalte USD 1450 for gitaren + USD 99 i frakt. Med mva ble det totalt ca 15000,-. Tror du får det billigere nå, pga av høy kronekurs

[ February 20, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: BK ]

Comment

word dude, i just received a mail reply from Jason regarding prices and stuff. He was yery quick and friendly. His turnaround time replying was 1h36m.
                          Maybe Jason smells money when we scandinavians ask for prices [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I bet he knows about our stinkin' "situation"...
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Matt: You have mail

BK: Ouch, 6 mnd :/ Men prisen var jo meget god da, Eerie er vel en såkalt custom finish?

Comment

I just got my new KE-2 in last Saturday, and just wanted to add that I haven't had any problems with the balance issue I keep hearing about. I use a 3" leather strap (left over from the LP days) and the Kelly hangs just right... Might be different with a 1" nylon strap and a silk shirt, I don't know... :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X