Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with neck when changing pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with neck when changing pickups?

I've read that removing all the strings on a guitar is hard on the neck. I've wondered if techs use some kind of device to clamp the neck to maintain tension or if they make truss rod adjustments to compensate for the lack of string tension. Or is loosening or removing all the strings really no big deal at all?

Re: What to do with neck when changing pickups?

it's not hard on the neck at all. punch whomever told you that in the dick.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Oof! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Remove the strings. Most people do that when cleaning the fretboard/frets anyways. Just block your trem with an eraser like I do so that the trem can sit there and not sink into the cavity, or in my non-recessed trem situation, dig onto the face of the guitar.

Also, lots of parts guitars are made. Necks are sold on Ebay. I guess they're all messed up because they're not attached to bodies and strings! Throw that back at the dude after punching him in the dick. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

sully

[/ QUOTE ]
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I saw it on a post on some other guitar forum. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Yeah, what Sully said! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] You can change strings one at a time or all at once, no big deal. There's a lot of idiots out there spreading misinformation about tension being on necks when changing strings or shipping. Anyway, how do you think the old Strats with the truss rod adjustment at the heel got adjusted?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

sully

[/ QUOTE ]LMFAO!
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Before everyone jumps to conclusions here, there is actually some truth in what you were told mr. actionjackson dude. If a guitar is set up for anything but the lightest strings, and you remove those strings for an extended period of time, you can end up with a back-bow that can be extremely hard to fix. This is because the heavier the strings, the tighter the truss rod must be adjusted for the proper amount of relief. A quick string change isn't going to be a problem though.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I agree with mm ,but now who is really responsible for the dickpunch? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
                  Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Before everyone jumps to conclusions here, there is actually some truth in what you were told mr. actionjackson dude. If a guitar is set up for anything but the lightest strings, and you remove those strings for an extended period of time, you can end up with a back-bow that can be extremely hard to fix. This is because the heavier the strings, the tighter the truss rod must be adjusted for the proper amount of relief. A quick string change isn't going to be a problem though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use 10s and change my strings one at a time anyway. I'm wondering about cases where the strings must come off such as pickup replacement.

Comment

I don't usually remove all the strings when mwssing with pickups, because It is a giant pain in the butt. I usually just slacken them, and then put a screwdriver handle underneath the strings to rais them up off the body. Then you can remove the pup, slide it out sideways, put the new one in, and then tune up. I also read somewhere that someone uses a set of those spring loaded salad tongs to spread the loose strings apart.

Comment

I have also used the "spread the strings apart" method. I have this really cool luthier tool I bought at a gynecologists garage sale. It'll spread 'em apart in small increments so you're careful not to break any strings. I'll see if I can find the part # if anyone else wants one. PM me.
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

"a gynecologists garage sale"

I'm sorry, but there's no f-ing way in f-ing hell I'd buy anything like that at a garage sale - you really DON'T know where it's been, and probably don't WANT to know [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And for a Floyded guitar, it's way easier to just pop the springs out and leave the strings alone until you're done.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You have nothing to worry about during a normal string change either doing them all at once, or one at a time.

How do you think a luthier builds a guitar? Refret a guitar? Polish frets, clean and oil fretboards? Change pickups? Unstringed of course.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I have this really cool luthier tool I bought at a gynecologists garage sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear he has the only garage in MO with stirrups [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X