Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SL2H Pup question....Should they be changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H Pup question....Should they be changed?

Ok, How are the stock pups in the SL2H. I have them in my SL-1.....Well at least the JB and they sound ok, could be a bit more of a screamer.

Should I leave them or get different pups? What is you opinion on what sound better, what really screams?

Thanks

Re: SL2H Pup question....Should they be changed?

I think the JB sounds awesome, it is in fact my favorite bridge pick up, because it screams and is so amazingly transparent for harmonics! I have the JB in my KE2 and it screams like a 5 year old girl. I was never a big '59 fan, but the Jazz is a big recommender! It doesn't really scream though, it's more of a smooth and creamy lead sound pick up, with amazing clean ups and huge attack under high gain. If you want a real screamer look into the DiMarzio Paf Pro, matches perfectly with the JB. Had that combo in my old Ibanez and sounded incredible IMO

Comment

Eh, the JB is overrated and sounds weak in the low end. I had the JB/'59 combo in my old Hamer that was mahogany body/mahogany neck with 3/8" maple top... the low end was just not there with the JB. It had a nice sound in the high midrange, but needed some low-end oomph! The '59 is pretty good in just about any guitar but can get a bit muddy at times. I swapped them out for a chrome EMG 81/81 set and was much happier. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Why Jackson puts JBs in alder-bodied/maple-necked guitars is beyond me. If I were to stick with passives, I'd personally use either a DiMarzio Super Distortion, Norton or Tone Zone.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Change the pickups. Try out Dimarzio SD and X2N for starters. JB is very popular but bit overrated IMO.

Comment

I've kept my SL2H stock so far...sometimes I'd like to drop the JB but then I'll discover something new that I like about it. But like others have said, it obviously doesn't have a lot of bottom end and can be pretty bright, but I think it sounds cool for a certain style of playing. I do tend to end up playing a lot of Dio-esque riffs with it though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Remember Mustaine has recorded pretty much everything with his JB equipped V's and he's got an awesome sound IMHO, so it depends a lot on your preferred style.
          My other electric has EMG 85b/81n which is really cool, but I want to have different setups on each guitar so I don't think I'll go active in my SL2H. I'd like to try a Distortion and maybe move the JB to the neck at the same time.
          Basically you shouldn't change pups just cuz a bunch of guys at JCF told you so, but if you're not happy with it and want more low end, more output, or whatever..then you should go right ahead [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Oh I forgot to add: I really love the stock '59 in the neck! It sings..medleymedleymeeee [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I think the '59 doesn't have enough mids to cut through the mix well. I have it and it just doesn't sound like a solo pickup. It should be in the bridge, instead.

Comment

I personally think the JB in the USA Jacksons sound awful. The guitars are generally bright because of the ebony fretboard. Putting a bright pickup in there such as a JB is just overkill IMO.

I put a Super3 in my SL1 that I had and never looked back. MUCH more ballsy and beefy without the tinny top end dominating the tone.

Comment

I had a SL2H and I did NOT like the JB TB4 in the bridge. I thought it was weak and thin-sounding. I ended up trading with Pedalgeek for a USA Wolfie (now that's how a hum pup should sound!) but I want an RR1 or RR5 and they come with JBs. Arrrrrgh!
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

what i like about the stock JB in the SL's is that the JB is not real bass heavy and has plenty of "CUT"
                  you can dial it in heavier(bass) on the amp and it stays clear
                  I tried a tone zone in a SL and it sounded like MUD CITY [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
                  the JB is a pup like a 81 in that they both do not have a huge bass response but if you use a EQ or dial in more bass at the amp it sounds clear and fat with no mud [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The Tone Zone is bassy in ANY guitar. A Super Distortion or SUper 3 would have been a better more moderate choice IMO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      the JB is a pup like a 81 in that they both do not have a huge bass response but if you use a EQ or dial in more bass at the amp it sounds clear and fat with no mud [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      The 81, to me, has more bass than the JB. At least that's what I noticed in my Hamer... and I didn't change EQ settings on my amp. I'm more of an EMG 85 guy than 81, but the 81 definitely had more balls in the Hamer than the JB.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The Tone Zone is bassy in ANY guitar. A Super Distortion or SUper 3 would have been a better more moderate choice IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        The TZ does have more bass, but it didn't sound overpowering in my old string-thru Dinky HX I sold to SpaceAce. I had that guitar tuned to D and the TZ sounded very articulate and really not that bassy, and the body was poplar. That was my only experience with the TZ, and I liked it, especially paired up with a USA Jackson J50N.

Comment

I don't like the JB much,I usually use a Custom or a 59' in the bridge position,more toneful imo!!

Comment

Actually, my stock Jb really improved my single coil Mex strat sound [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I've got a Bare Knuckle War Pig in my Jackson for bridge now. Sounds awesome!

Comment

Me and my friend have had SL2's.
                              I tried Bill Lawrence pups which were pretty good.
                              Had a Dimarzio Evolution.
                              Had a Dimebag Daryl which was also good.
                              My favorite was the Duncan Custom 5.

But I would definitely change your pick ups.
                              The JB has harmonics but it keeps going back to the same fundamental harmonic and I think the pup is limited for this specific reason.

The Custom 5 you is a great pup and one of the most popular for shred and metal. Check out reviews on harmony-central.

There is also an EVH model of the Custom. Suppose to be pretty good but costs $140.
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X