Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sustain questions, and where to buy APC pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sustain questions, and where to buy APC pups?

Last night I played with my friend's epi LP with 59/jb. Needless to say, the sound kicked my KE3's stock pup's arse. That's fine, nothing I can't fix with a pup change.

But hearing the sustain on his LP, I became REALLY disappointed with mine. I did a yngwie like high note fullbend+vibrato on his high E... and, I mean literally, the sustain lasted forever... I had to stop it cuz it was lasting forever as my disappointment grew. I think it may have started feeding back or something.

Doing the same thing on the exact same gear with my ke3, the note starts dying in about 3 seconds [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

So my question is, can I ever expect sustain like that on my kelly? I have pretty low action, tho I'm pretty sure the notes aren't fretting out. The sustain on high notes with no bending lasts 3 sec as well..

I have the DD pups as low as possible, so it's not that killing my sustain.
    Would higher string tension help? What about making the springs parallel as opposed to the arrow config that I have now.
    I really hope a pup replacement would help...

Another question: Where do I buy APC pups from?? I can't find anything on google, only a blank page for adder plus corp...

Re: Sustain questions, and where to buy APC pups?

I had an import Kelly once that would do what your friend's Epi did, but it had some kinda wound-3rd string set on it (10-52? I dunno) and the stock pickups.
    It could be your action, or maybe your pickups aren't close enough to generate that perpetual-field thingy.
    Measure your bud's pickup-to-string distance and try to match yours to his.
    String gage has a bit to do with it as well - if he's got bigger strings, or bigger frets.

Feedback is also based on the position of the guitar to the amp.

Then again, you ARE comparing USA Duncans to the cheaper versions, so that's also got something to do with it.

But it is NOT due to the neck-to-body joint (bolt on vs setneck vs neckthrough - it's all bullsh1t) or the bridge [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I raised the higher side of pups and it seemed to help a bit, but not much.

Actually I'd be really happy if I could get like 7, 8 secs of sustain on the high notes, as opposed to the 3 that I have now...

So you're saying it's not the neck to body joint and the bridge?

His guitar also sounds a lot louder acoustically. I'm gonna test another friend's Ibanez together with the LP and see if it's just my guitar...

Comment

Returned your PM about APC pickups.

Comment

Working...
        X