should I put emgs in my Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I put emgs in my Jackson?

I already have an axe for doing the fast stuff, as well as a nice semi acoustic, Ive already changed the pickups from my SL2H to dimarzios as the seymour duncans sounded way to thin, but Im thinking of turning this axe into a riffing monster. Emg the way to go? Im worried it will sound to bright.........maple + alder + ebony = BRIGHT. anyone with emgs in their soloist?

Re: should I put emgs in my Jackson?

IMO the best soloists ive heard have had EMG's put in them. Jackson should do it as a standard model.

Comment

Dude,Go for it.They are the best pups out.I also have a alder soloist with a ebony board and the emg sound great in it.Put a emg 81 in the bridge.Later paul.

Comment

I was thinking of a 81 on the bridge and 85 on the neck

Comment

Try the opposite configuration an 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck, then wire the battery in series for 18 volts. KILLER!!!! I put an 81 in my KE-1 and it was a bit bright, I switched it out with an 85 and wired it for 18 volts and it is a beast!

Comment

Yes you should.. And i happen to have a set (81 + 85) for sale [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

EMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

81 bridge and 85 neck wired at 18 volts, with an EMG PA-2 preamp = Flamethrower especially into a tube amp...

Good luck! Go for it!!!!

[ February 21, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

how do you get a clean sound cleveland? the amp must always be overdriven

Comment

I've no complaints about my 81 bridge / 60 neck combo...

~eric

Comment

Its worth trying both the 85 and 81 in the bridge. I was looking for a dark pickup and the 85(bridge) is the darkest highest gain, yet clear pickup I have ever had. I love it. Emgs clean up great. What I love about them is that you can roll of the volume and they clean up before the actual volume level drops noticeably. Makes them versitile. Give it a shot. It's not like it's hard to resell them for close to what you paid if you don't like them. I wired mine 18 volt too. Thanks again John

[ February 21, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

How/where do you install the battery compartment in an SL2H? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree that you should try the 85 in the bridge position. Since the newer EMG's have quick-connect fittings, you could experiment a bit without having to resolder the wires every time.

About the 18V thing, it's a good thing to do in a dual pickup guitar IMO. Two EMG's with one battery will not sound as fat as just one powered by the same battery. Two batteries in series should enable you to squeeze every little bit of gain out of the pups. =)

'bane

Comment

Originally posted by malmsteenwannabe:
                          Im thinking something along of Symphony X Dream Theater sound....not Sepultura
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dream Theater sound... John Petrucci doesn't even use EMGs... unless I'm sadly mistaken.

I think Michael Romeo uses EMGs in his ESPs though.

Comment

Mike Romeo uses a DiMarzio X2N and Tonezone in his ESPees! At least that's what their website says, and the pics I've seen seem to show the X2N in the bridge.

I have two Jacksons with EMGs... one combo is 81b/85n and the other is the 85b/60n combo. I prefer the 85 in the bridge over the 81, as it seems a little fuller with just a bit more midrange. Though, the 81 is great, too. I've never tried the 81 in the neck, but I would think it's similar to the 60, just not quite as bright.

Zakk Wylde uses the 81b/85n combo, so does Kerry King. Kirk Hammett and Jeff Hanneman I believe both use 81/81. I'd try the 85/81 combo first and see what you think. If you don't like it, you could always switch them. Then again, an 85/85 would sound great, too. I don't think you could go wrong with EMGs in any position, though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by ronpoz:
                              How/where do you install the battery compartment in an SL2H? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You just stick the battery in the electronics compartment, but make sure you wrap it in foam or electrical tape so the metal of the battery doesn't touch anything and short it out. You could always have someone professional install a compartment if you really would prefer that.
                              Or just get one of those battery holders from Radio Shack and screw it in the cavity so the battery will stay in place (the old Charvel Model series with active electronics had this).

[ February 21, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X