tightening the neckplate screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tightening the neckplate screws?

I noticed that the neckplate screws on my ke3 gets lose after a while... Should I tighten it? how tight should it be? Is it possible to make it too tight and possibly wear out the screw hole (I've no idea what you'd call it so..)?

Thanks,

Re: tightening the neckplate screws?

Snug is fine. If they get loose all the time you may need to dowel the holes and redrill. You could also take out 1 screw at a time and insert a wooden match in the hole and put the screw back in. That usually locks them in pretty good.

Comment

A toothpick will work also (wooden of course).

Comment

Tighten it until it won't go anymore. I mean really get your upper body into it. I lean it against my bed (backwards) and just CRANK. If it strips, big deal, just put some pieces of wood in there.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Tighten it until it won't go anymore. I mean really get your upper body into it. I lean it against my bed (backwards) and just CRANK. If it strips, big deal, just put some pieces of wood in there.

[/ QUOTE ]
          NO!! NO!! NO!!
          DO NOT DO THAT!!
          Tighten it snug, but there is no reason to be stupid about it. What if you strip the screwhead? What if you split the wood? What if you can't take the neck off next time you need to?

As for the toothpick thing, only put the toothpick in the NECK part of the hole, not in the body. The screw needs to spin freely in the body and only tighten the neck, otherwise you will not be pulling the neck and body closer together, it will only hold the neck and body in place.

As a side note, half my repairs as a tech are fixing other people's BAD REPAIRS.

Comment

Cool, thanks a lot for the tips guys.

Comment

You want the screws tight enough so the neck won't move, but not too tight. I've seem problems on some strats, especially with nitro finish, where the screws are too tight cracking the finish. I would call to find out the torque specs if you want it perfect.

Comment

Working...
              X