Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

Ok here's is the deal, my Model ones neck is over. Broken truss rod [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I need a replacement, I was thinking a Warmoth strat head all maple of course.

I want a flat mounted floyd rose put on the model one. I want NO pull backs at all, just dives. The repair guy said it may not be possible to order a neck that would fit the Model one and it might be next to impossible to make the floyd flat mount with such a neck.

Any ideas of suggestions?
    Thanks

Re: Help please

Impossible for him maybe. There is no such thing if you talk to the right person. First of all, a replacement neck should be pretty easy to make. You just have to talk to a luthier. As for making the floyd flat mount, you may have to route the neck pocket. I'd take that to someone with experience for that too. If you want I can put you in touch with someone I KNOW can do it.

Comment

If you know anyone please pm me.

Comment

Here's my friend's latest project. His name is John Carruthers.
        Uli John Roth guitar by 17th Street

Comment

not sure what that would cost you to have done, but a warmoth neck will fit a model 1 body, but you're going to have a little bit of room on the sides of the neck pocket. however, it's nothing that a small strip of sandpaper wouldn't fix.

to get the non recessed floyd angle without routing the neck pocket out, you just shim the neck pocket (can use that sandpaper again) so that the neck tilts back slightly.

i'm not for one second discounting anything ace said above (considering he's probably one of the only ones here with formal training), but this may be a more economical way to go.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Tilting the neck back would make you have to RAISE the bridge, unless I'm mistaken. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Here is my Model 1 with a Warmoth maple/maple Strat neck. There is a tiny gap on each side of the neck pocket but it is so small it's not worth mentioning (The Charvel neck is 2 1/4" and the Fender size is 2 3/16"). This is my favorite player, the action and feel is awesome.

You should be able to put a top mount OFR on it. You will just need to shim the neck to get the correct angle. I've done it on several guitars.

I would leave the Model 1 body as it is and get another guitar with a Floyd...

Just my humble opinion, actual mileage may vary [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That's a sweet looking guitar!! But does having a floating bridge and a non-locking nut give you many problems? I have a Model 2 with an OFR and a bone nut, and if I go crazy on the bar, it goes right out of tune. But I never use the bridge anyways, so it stays fine.

Comment

ace, i was referring to the angle that you need when you have a non recessed floyd; you have to tilt it back so that you can get decent action. kinda like a tom, but with an angle that's not as sharp. if it's flat mounted, i'd assume it's still not quite flush, so that's where my train of thought was comin from.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

OH I GET IT!! I was thinking that he wanted to replace a floating trem with a flat-mount one. Duh, nevermind. What Sully says makes perfect sense now. Me Bad?

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thank you all as always you rock!!! My idea was to have a chrome OFR with the Strat neck. All the floyds I've had are floating and I rarely ever do pullbacks. I always wanted a floyd flat. I figure the neck for this one is dead, so I figured might as well go for it.

So you all think the Warmoth will work? What is the nut width I'd be looking for? Charvels are compound radiused correct?
                        And when I get this what would the procedure be for mounting it for a floyd.

If anyone has better ideas for bridges that actually hold tune without the floyd I'm all ears. I want to dive and not go way out of tune. thanks

Comment

yep, the warmoth will be fine. the model neck's nut width should be 1 11/16, and yeah, go for a 10-16 radius on the fretboard.

are you going to prepare the body for the floyd? if you've never done that before, i'd take it somewhere.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That's the thing, can it be done so that the Floyd is absoulutely flat against the body? I want it to be totally flat and not have the nightmare co balancing and floating.

I've heard you can make a non locking trem stay in tune but it sounds like more work. I have installed Floyds before, but never drilled the posts, so I would have that done, but my main concern is the neck angles and if its going to be next to impossible to make it work without routering the thing.

Comment

yes, i imagine that you should be able to flushmount it, but to give you a bit more stability, you should block it too.

as far as the neck angle goes, you can trial and error until you get the action you're looking for with shims. no biggie, just somewhat time consuming.

sully
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X