matching pickup output...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matching pickup output...

Ok, I've decided to throw a JB in the neck of my Epi LP standard. The problem is, SD lists the DC resistance at like 14.6 (or 16.4)k. I currently have a Screamin' Demon in the bridge slot, but it is only a 10K pickup. I really like the demon's tone, so I either have to find something similar in tone with a higher output, or keep the JB really low in the neck position. What should I do?

Re: matching pickup output...

I wouldn´t do it, because the jb has quite a bit more output as i understand it.
    If it were the other way around it would work just fine, and mabe you could match them if you set the jb really low, but why not just go for a 59 or jazz instead for a better match output wise?
    Just my 0,02
    And btw dc resistance doesn´t tell the hole throuth about the output...

Comment

check my other thread about JB in the neck position.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The output will be different, but not so much so that your gonna hurt anything or anyone. The whole point of having two pickups is that they DO sound different. In one of the guitars I made, I have a really hot humbucker I made in the bridge position, then a vintage-style single coil I made in the neck position. The single coil is backed WAY off(nearly 1/2") the strings so that it won't get in the way when I am playing. I can still use both pickups. The neck pickup doesn't sound nearly as aggressive as the bridge pickup, but the volume drop coming from the amp isn't that big, mostly the difference in tone. If you are really worried about it, run a overdrive inline with either a slight VU bump when you hit the Demon, or a slight VU drop when you hit the JB.

Comment

I was just concerned that the volume difference would be quite exaggerated. I guess I'll just have to try it and see. I have a Wasabi OD pedal that has a 10 or 15 dB boost switch on it (works even without turning the OD on!) that i can use witht he Demon. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

May i just ask why you want the jb in the neck?
            Not that it would sound bad, i ordered one for the neck of my rhoads yesterday, just wondering..

Comment

The volume difference may be exaggerated to an extent if the neck pup is greater in output than the bridge. Two pups of equal output work well, as well as the normal way of having the bridge higher output than the neck, but having the neck pup with more power than the bridge usually doesn't work too well, IMO. It won't hurt anything, though, so you could always try it and see, and maybe keeping the neck pup low enough would help balance the sound out better.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Rocksoldier-thereason I want it in the neck is because I had the JB junior in the neck of my model 4, and love it. I had previously had a JB in the bridge of the LP and wasn't fond of it. It had too many highs, sounded thin. Putting it in the neck position evens out the highs and lows I guess.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it. Big Red and my '85 RR both have Distortion in the bridge (16.6k) & Jazz in the neck (7.9k) and sound fantastic.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Yes but the distortion is in the bridge, so it´s not a problem then really.

Comment

I say try it first before worrying about it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But why does one have to use a higher output pup in the bridge? I'd think the doing things in a nonstandard way might yield an instrument with some unique tonal properties. Might suck, but it might not.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But why does one have to use a higher output pup in the bridge? I'd think the doing things in a nonstandard way might yield an instrument with some unique tonal properties. Might suck, but it might not.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to think outside the box sometimes. I guess the HR(neck)-HR(middle)-JBjr(bridge) is in the same vein that a higher output pickup is in the neck and middle position than the bridge and it seems to work for Dave Murray of Iron Maiden. Personally I don't think I would like it, but if I played one I might change my mind.

Comment

Tecghnically, there is NO reason you can't put a lower output pup in the bridge. Bridge pickups are intended to be "lead" pickups, and neck pups for "rhythm", so that you can get a warmer, lower output tone from the neck position for chords and riffs, and then switch to a higher output pup with more "bite" at the bridge for solos and stuff. But there seems to be a trend toward the opposite-using the fatter tone for lead work, and the tighter sound for "crunchier" rhythms. Sorry for overusing quotation marks....

Comment

Well, the neck area is where the string vibrates more and causes the sound to be louder, where as the bridge position the string is stiffer with less vibration and overtones (maybe someone else can better explain it than I can). That's why guitar manufacturers put the lower output pup in the neck, to balance the sound better instead of having the neck pup overpower the bridge.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X