What now!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now!?

Today is a sad day. I've owned a KV2 in metallic silver for around 7 months now, and it has been the best damn playing guitar ever. I have had no complaints about the guitar until today. I have been playing lead quite a bit lately and I noticed something I have never noticed. Whenever I access the higher frets, the damn volume knob for the neck pickup gets in the way! Now that I notice it, it is extremely annoying and I wanna smash my axe into something. It's a huge pain in the ass because not only do I bump into it while picking, but I end up rotating the volume knob so the sound gets f u c k e d up whenever I am using the neck pickup for those warm sounding solos. What do I do? I never thought the day would come, but if there isn't any way I can adjust to it, I may have to trade or sell it. [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: What now!?

Yeah I have the same problem with my new SL1. The volume nob seems to sick up higher than my non- recessed dinky.It's just something we will have to get use too.

Comment

Dude... calm down. Just adjust your picking style. Fan your fingers like George Lynch. I had to do it.

Comment

Please don't smash it... better give it to me for free! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        I like KVs... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, do you mean the higher frets or the higher strings? With which hand do you bump into the volume knob?
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

fist time i'm happy that I have small hands lol...

Comment

*sorry double post*

[ February 09, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Lev ]

Comment

This is normal and something you will get used to. I have and now much prefer the volume knob right there. I no longer touch it when playing, but it's so accessable when you want to use it. Don't let it stress you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Moving from a LP to a KV has given me no problems with the volume, my real problem is the pickups are much closer together then im used to and i keep hitting the plastic surround all the time, i only got it the other day and its starting to show wear.........but like others said all I and you can do is change the picking style. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

just adjust your picking style, i was used to setting my palm on the bridge of my old guitar i couldnt do that on my jackson, the whammy bar would get in the way and i would accidentily push on the bridge changing the pitch, after about three days ive changed my picking style and it's now faster then it was before.

Comment

You guys are right...I didn't think about it at first, but when I got the guitar brand new I had to adjust A LOT. I couldn't rest my hand on the bridge and the pickups are closer together. At most, it took me a day or 2 to adjust. I guess I will have to figure out a way to adjust to it. Jackson wouldn't make a guitar that gets annoying to play. What was I thinking!? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the same problem on any guitar with the knobs too close to the picking area. I can adjust my picking style - sure, but i just can't forget how nice my old Hagström Les Paul was. NO KNOBS BELOW RIGHT HAND! They were moved way back and it was a pleasure.
                      It's a shame that we have to adjust. It's wrong. It should be the other way round. The guitar should suit you. I don't know where i'm going with this, i'm just pis... that most guitars i love have this problem.

Fueled4Fire, you say you just have to adjust. If you had the choice between adjusting your style or swapping your KV2 with a KV2 with no knobs in the way - what would you choose?

Again, i don't know where i'm going with this, but i could try [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Hey Fender, we want the knobs moved on the KV2, please! And the SL1! And the RR1! And the .... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The knobs are fine for me on my Jacksons. I actually prefer them closer so I can sometimes grab it with my pinky and do volume swells. The volume knob on my Fender is even closer, but still doesn't get in my way. Most of the time I keep my fingers fanned out like George Lynch and they go right over the knob, but even if I curl my hand up more, I still don't have a problem. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've always done the fanned fingers thing. The ONLY guitar that has ever given me problems with the knob placement is my Model 1. It's centered right up under the pickup... GAH! It's easy enough to play around, but when you get going... *THWAK*

Comment

I just put the volume in the tone position and tuck the tone in the cavity, I never use the tone anyway, so it's not a big deal for me...

I've done it on all of my guitars, with the exception of a few where the bridge is higher and the knobs don't come into play at all...

I even went so far as to order guitars with the knobs in diffeent positions.

I'm not going to adjust to a guitar, fukk that. The guitar WILL adjust to me, or it will be gone...

Pat

Comment

Yup, Pat just said it best. Modify the guitar to suit YOU, don't change to suit the guitar. It's a tool, nothing more. If the tool doesn't work for you, you get a different tool.
                              This is why for years I played strat style guitars with pickguards. The pickguard is cheap and easy to change, and I can put whatever pickups and controls in it where ever I want.

Comment

Working...
                              X