OLD dimarzio & Duncans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD dimarzio & Duncans ?

did dimarzio & duncan change there pickups over the years? do pickups get weaker or change sound as they age? last night i had alot of my guitars out & was switching guitars & not touching the amp at all. I was surprised that the X2N (82 bich) & invader(85 soloist) were not as high output & alot warmer sounding than my stock jackson pickups (86 soloist). also my guild pickups (75 seagull) were slightly higher output but cleaner sounding than some of super distortions in my old BCRs. could this be from different pot values, & age. the pickups are all about the same distance from the strings.

Re: OLD dimarzio & Duncans ?

<font color="yellow">It is debateable, but I believe that pickups do in fact demagnetize over time.

That is why a lot of people used to have their vintage PAF's "recharged" at a shop that serviced odomoters and speedometers.

It only makes sense to me that they would lose a certain ammount of their magnetism over time.

But, like I said, people are in a debate over that. </font>

Comment

Re: OLD dimarzio &amp; Duncans ?

[ QUOTE ]
      did dimarzio &amp; duncan change there pickups over the years? do pickups get weaker or change sound as they age? last night i had alot of my guitars out &amp; was switching guitars &amp; not touching the amp at all. I was surprised that the X2N (82 bich) &amp; invader(85 soloist) were not as high output &amp; alot warmer sounding than my stock jackson pickups (86 soloist). also my guild pickups (75 seagull) were slightly higher output but cleaner sounding than some of super distortions in my old BCRs. could this be from different pot values, &amp; age. the pickups are all about the same distance from the strings.

[/ QUOTE ]
      ceramic magnets do not weaken over time, alnico does however
      also the wire that is used for winding gets affected by age. and really old dimarzio's and duncans were NOT wax potted this effects the tone.
      now having said that OLDER duncans do sound better(warmer)
      over the years duncan has switched it's wire supply company.
      not sure about dimarzio on this one they may have the same wire supplier? not sure.
      a old JB or DD sounds worlds better than the newest offerings and many others have agreed upon this opinion.

Comment

totally agree on that; i've got a pre-83 duncan custom that sounds wonderful and warm. not sure off hand if they have ceramic or alnico magnets, and i'm too lazy to go to the duncan site to see.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          totally agree on that; i've got a pre-83 duncan custom that sounds wonderful and warm. not sure off hand if they have ceramic or alnico magnets, and i'm too lazy to go to the duncan site to see.

[/ QUOTE ]
          the sh-5(DCJ) custom has a ceramic
          the sh-11(CCJ) custom-custom has a alnico II
          the newer sh-14 custom 5 has a alnico 5 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I think they're alnico, not sure if 2 or 5. I believe 5...eh, never mind. I knew I read something about alnico 5 and Duncan custom.. it was the SH14 construction blurb on the case of the pup.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I was surprised that the X2N (82 bich) &amp; invader(85 soloist) were not as high output &amp; alot warmer sounding than my stock jackson pickups (86 soloist). also my guild pickups (75 seagull) were slightly higher output but cleaner sounding than some of super distortions in my old BCRs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't discount all the other factors such as the guitar itself, pots and caps, strings, etc. When you're looking at percieved output, comparing different pickups in different guitars is like apples to oranges.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I'm glad someone has asked that question Re:OLD dimarzio &amp; Duncans. I have dimarzio evolutions in the neck and bridge on my dinky reverse and in the past couple of years I've noticed that the bridge pickup has weakened a bit. I've had the pickups for about 8 years now and surely they wouldn't be farting out on me now would they?. And to think 2 or 3 years ago those Evolutions were heavier than elephant tits and now I'm looking for possible replacements. Should I have the pots replaced?.

Comment

the ceramic magnets lose their power in a much lower pace than the alnico magnets. so I think it is something else (the evolution has a ceramic magnet).

harrald

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    the ceramic magnets lose their power in a much lower pace than the alnico magnets. so I think it is something else (the evolution has a ceramic magnet).

harrald

[/ QUOTE ]
                    yes the EVO neck and bridge models use ceramic( larger ceramic in the bridge one for increased output)
                    a ceramic may lose strength but it is much less likley than with a alnico. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> </pre><hr />

Comment

I recall reading on the duncan site that the ceramic magnets would take over 100 years to even lose 1% strength or something to that degree.

Comment

Working...
                      X