Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X2N or Duncan Distortion? Good neck pu match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2N or Duncan Distortion? Good neck pu match?

I'm getting headaches researching for PUs to replace my duncan desgined detonators on my KE3... The porblem is I've never heard any of them before... So, I'm gonna just rely on your recommendations.

So which one of these do you like better? Other suggestions are definitely welcome.
    And what good neck PUs go with them? I want something like the Yngwie tone for the neck, Is the duncan 59 good?

I always thought the detonator was far too muddy when doing rythm. But the other day I lower the PU by a lot, and interesting, it's not nearly as muddy anymore. Now I'm begining to think maybe I don't need new pickups...

Also, I will most likely be using a booster overdrive for my signal.

Thanks a ton for the replies on the tremspace post guys!

Re: X2N or Duncan Distortion? Good neck pu match?

I have an RR3. I replaced to bridge pickup with an X2N. The best pickup i've ever fitted to my guitars. There's a bit more treble and mids in the X2N, but it still sounds like a monster.

I've never heard the Duncan Distortion, but i've heard good things about them.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I used to think the X2N sounded great, untill I got a Dimarzio Super Distortion. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I'm getting headaches researching for PUs to replace my duncan desgined detonators on my KE3... The porblem is I've never heard any of them before... So, I'm gonna just rely on your recommendations.

So which one of these do you like better? Other suggestions are definitely welcome.
        And what good neck PUs go with them? I want something like the Yngwie tone for the neck, Is the duncan 59 good?

I always thought the detonator was far too muddy when doing rythm. But the other day I lower the PU by a lot, and interesting, it's not nearly as muddy anymore. Now I'm begining to think maybe I don't need new pickups...

Also, I will most likely be using a booster overdrive for my signal.

Thanks a ton for the replies on the tremspace post guys!

[/ QUOTE ]
        i would say the X2N over the DD.
        i am using the DD now but am really considering swapping it out for a X2N if i dont go active which then would be emg 81/60 set [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        so for passive i say get a X2n for the bridge and a super II for the neck for the malmsteen neck tone
        [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I love the Distortion in the neck position, its a really fat, creamy sound. Try a Distortion in both positions, neck and bridge. If you need to play clean and bright, try a Jazz neck.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Well, I'm sure everyone around here knows my feelings toward the Duncan Distortion. I've got five in my guitars (bridge and neck positions) and another one on the way. For the bridge, you just can't get a better metal riffing pickup. The leads cut through the mix without being shrill. Plus, it's versatile enough to back down and hit some nice dirty blues. As far as a Distortion in the neck, you're going to get some great shred tones. However, I wouldn't really call it Yngwie-esque. If you want something ultra clean and clear, I'd think about a Jazz or Full Shred. Both pickups tend to be glassy and articulate but of the two the Full Shred probably ranks a little higher in my book. The 59 would be a good match with a Distortion sonically and tonally. However, I find it a little boomy for that bell like Yngwie tone. It does have some awesome tone, just maybe not what you're looking for.

Here pretty quick (probably more like 3 weeks - after finals) I'm going to try a Pearly Gates in the neck matched with a Distortion in the bridge of my new (Toejam's old) Hamer Special FM. I'll see how that sounds and post a review when I get it done.

Comment

I love the X2N. Nice even tone. No note drop off... Nice crunch. Great harmonics.. I like the Duncan Distortion and have a few guitars with them. They are very harmonic rich but to me they are a bit gritty. As for a neck bridge combo two DD do match up great. I like PAF pro or a PAF in the neck with my X2n's... I do have a guitar with a duncan hot rails (single coil though and you need two hums right??) and it is a great match up with the X2N. I also think the Super Distortion (Dimarzio) sounds good with an X2N as well.

Comment

I have a 1970's DiMarzio Super Distorion that I am going to put in a guitar, can't wait to hear how it sounds!!

Comment

I use a Distortion in the bridge and Jazz in the neck and have been very pleased with the results, although I think the PAF Pro sounds more like a jazz than the jazz does

Comment

Dimarzio super distortion!
                    And because it´s not as hot as the x2n, maybe a dimarzio humbucker from hell could match up a little better in the neck output wise for some single coil like sound.
                    Just a thought...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      maybe a dimarzio humbucker from hell could match up a little better in the neck output wise for some single coil like sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard good things about the HFH for clean tones in the neck position. PAF Pro might be good there, too.

Comment

From what I've read, Air Norton's might be good also.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          so for passive i say get a X2n for the bridge and a super II for the neck for the malmsteen neck tone
                          [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Same here! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] The Super 2 rules in the neck with either and X2N or Super Distortion in the bridge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great, thanks a ton for the suggestions guys!

Comment

Working...
                            X