veneer or maple top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veneer or maple top?

on the old jackson site it used to say the guitars had a 1/8 inch flame maple top, since the fender site came up it says a 1/8 inch flame maple veneer. Is there any difference? I was under the impression the a veneer isnt as good as a maple top.

Re: veneer or maple top?

It was veneer all along, it just wasn't worded that way. There's nothing wrong with a veneer top. In fact, most players wouldn't like an entire body made of flamed or quilted maple because it would sound too bright.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I think most players, who are not familiar with Webster's Dictionary, associate the word "veneer" with the paper thin quilt/flame tops on some U.S.A. and import Jacksons. A paper thin maple veneer will do nothing for the tone of a guitar. I think the word "veneer" sounds a bit sterile and should be reserved to describe furniture and such...Not Guitars.
      [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, it's not just reserved to furniture anymore. Has anyone been inside a Schmidt Music store as of late? Piano's no longer come in just black, they now have stunning veneer flame tops in many varieties, burl etc. "cap" is also a term I've heard used on guitars.

Websters unabridged dictionary is one of my most favorite of all books and is a site I find myself at almost daily [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

[ February 08, 2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Well, I think being 1/8 is quite a bit thicker than a "veneer"... They're described as "Bent tops"...

All of the arch tops have an actual 3/4"-1" flame or quilt top, as does mine. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Speaking of said Archtop Xeno, any chance of seeing those 'other' pics of it? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
              Well, I think being 1/8 is quite a bit thicker than a "veneer"... They're described as "Bent tops"...

All of the arch tops have an actual 3/4"-1" flame or quilt top, as does mine. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True, you speak to most anyone who sells wood for a living, a veener is probably less than a 1/16".
              And HEEEeeeeR'S WEBSTER!

Main Entry: 1ve·neer
              Pronunciation: v&-'nir
              Function: noun
              Etymology: German Furnier, from furnieren to veneer, from French fournir to furnish, equip -- more at FURNISH
              Date: 1702
              1 : a thin sheet of a material: as a : a layer of wood of superior value or excellent grain to be glued to an inferior wood

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby:
                Speaking of said Archtop Xeno, any chance of seeing those 'other' pics of it? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I took a whole bunch of them, but I only had room to upload one. I'm out of room on my web host. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

If you want to see them, I can email them to you. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

OOOooooo...
                  AAhhhhhh...

Never get tired of looking at that one, Xeno...
                  750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

No veneers in that photo as far as I see it. Is that board Indian Rosewood or Pau Ferro? Photos to [email protected] if you can, Zeno. Thanks, Dave.
                    [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks! I don't have the slightest idea what the fretboard is... it's either Rosewood or Pau Ferro... I don't know enough about the visual differences to tell. But pics are on the way. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Xeno, send em my way too!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Xeno!

That's a beauty.
                          Very nice.
                          Does it have a mahogany body?

Also, Wouldnt an 1/8" top be considered a Laminate instead of a veneer?
                          I too, agree that a veneer is 1/16" or less.
                          Like the Epi, or ltd tops.

The 1/8" top is enough to give some tone differences. Helps bring out the highs.

Kent
                          4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

Yea, thats a pretty axe Zeno..kinda hypnotic. To bad it's not blue, it makes me want to dive in. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X