Sustain question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sustain question...

I was testing out a couple of my guitars tonight (a Dinky XL and a yamaha pacifica 112M) and I noticed that the Pacifica had a much longer sustain than the Dinky, almost twice as long! A note played on the Dinky just seemed to die out quickly.

This was with the bridge pickups on both guitars and the same amp settings and I've just put a new Duncan distortion in the Dinky. The pacifica has it's original bridge humbucker in it.

I don't understand what is causing this lack of sustain on the Dinky. I've tried moving the pickup closer to the strings on the Dinky but it doesn't change anything.

It would be great if someone could help me out here!! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Sustain question...

The Dinky has a Floyd right?

and the Pacifica has a Vintage strat type?

Thats the problem right there. Vintage Strat type tremolos have more contact with the body, and get better sustain and sound much warmer and more "natural" than the Floyd.

Comment

I don't know much about yamaha guitars, but the pickup might be a tad hotter as well. Hotter pickups will sense the string vibration longer and send a hotter signal tot he amp.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys

The Duncan distortion is pretty hot. But the note dies out after a couple of seconds on the Dinky and this is with full gain and everything! It can't be right. I think it could maybe be a dead spot? on the neck from what I have found online...

Comment

Chances are the hotter pickup is the Duncan Distortion which has the bigger magnet which has more string pull and kills vibration somewhat if it's too close. Lower the pickup some and see what happens. That will at least tell you if it's the pickup or not.

Other than that, it could just be a dud guitar. Some guitars just don't sing regardless of whether they have Floyds or not.

Comment

Yeah, I'll try the pickup lowering suggestion and some new strings and see what happens. This problem seems to just be in certain areas on the neck though which is weird.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Chances are the hotter pickup is the Duncan Distortion which has the bigger magnet which has more string pull and kills vibration somewhat if it's too close. Lower the pickup some and see what happens. That will at least tell you if it's the pickup or not.

Other than that, it could just be a dud guitar. Some guitars just don't sing regardless of whether they have Floyds or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that.

Comment

Working...
              X