Ebonizing rosewood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebonizing rosewood

If I were to stain a light rosewood fretboard with black or really dark brown stain, would it ever wear off or damage the fretboard/inlays?

Re: Ebonizing rosewood

You might want to do a search on the subject for previous posts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Duh. What Jack said.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Just as a side note, I used india ink on my rosewood kramer, just remember to tape off most of the upper body and all of the frets when you do it. I was very careful about the entire process, but because of splatter and the like, now my body has some nasty black speckles on it, so just be careful. Neck looks really good though, recommend India Ink for sure.

Comment

Let's see a pic of that, des. Your Kramer I mean. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

when I go back home I shall upload them

Comment

I want to see pics of the black speckles on your body. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Re: Ebonizing rosewood - India ink pic

Here is a comparison pic showing the dramatic effect that straight India ink (not mixed with oil or anything) had on the first fret of my Kramer Focus 1000's rosewood fretboard. All I did was sand the rosewood lightly with 210 sandpaper, then apply a small amount of India ink with a rag. None more black.

(I actually feel kinda bad, as this was a nice piece of rosewood, but then again, it's just a Kramer! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Comment

Here's a closer pic:

Comment

i need to start a "love your rosewood" movement.
                    don't get me wrong, i understand that the really light stuff isn't the greatest looking, but man, that was a nice hunk of rosewood!

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Here you go. I enhanced the image so that everyone can see the difference more clearly:

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

You're right, Sully. I felt bad covering that pretty grain with plain ol' black (kinda felt like painting a nice piece of furniture), but I don't use that neck anyway, as I made that Kramer into a 5150 replica, with a maple/maple neck, so it's no great loss.

Here's the ebonizing project I was practicing for:

This Jackson had a pretty decent looking rosewood fretboard, too, but I like the ebony look much better. Overall, I'd say the India ink approach works pretty well. A little tedious, as it WILL stain moto inlays and even sticks to frets pretty well, but a fun project in the end.

Comment

How did you get it to not stain the MOP?

Comment

I used cellophane tape to cover both frets and inlay edges, and painted the ink on with a small paintbrush. In some cases, I couldn't mask the edge (e.g., the inlays have a bit of a curve to them, which I couldn't mask with cellophane tape), so I just went slowly and very carefully. I did get some ink on an inlay or a fret a couple of times, but I wiped it off right away, and that seemed to work pretty well.

Comment

have you had to clean the fretboard since you did that? i believe that stuff is gonna come off, no? i've heard some scary tales about using india ink.

sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X