Removing Rust from Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Rust from Hardware

I thought I already made this thread but I can't find it now so maybe I'm going crazy....Any idea how I should go about removing rust from pickup pole pieces and from the fine tuners, string blocks, and other various parts on my JT580LP trems? Is there anything I can just soak the parts in to loosen the rust and then just scrub it off without damaging the finish on the trem? Thanks guys!

Re: Removing Rust from Hardware

Coca Cola, seriously.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Whatever is made of metal and can be taken off the guitar should be buffed with a brush with metal brisles if you can find that. The soak the part in a container submerged in a mixture of WD40 and motor oil for a day or two. It'll never dare rust again.
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Whatever is made of metal and can be taken off the guitar should be buffed with a brush with metal brisles if you can find that. The soak the part in a container submerged in a mixture of WD40 and motor oil for a day or two. It'll never dare rust again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the metal brissles damage the anodized finish on the hardware...? If not this sounds like a plan...

Comment

I'm thinking dremel/roto tool type thing. I use the fiber polishing wheels. A wire brush is harsh, I've used them with a roto tool on a low speed and you have to be careful not to go over the area that is rusted. Same goes for emery cloth and steel wool that I've used on things like pickup pole pieces. It depends on how invasive the rust is as to how agressive you have to be with attacking it.

I usually do not use anything agressive like that until after it has been soaked and rust doesn't readily wipe off. I've left black finish parts soaking for months..as long as the finish isn't flaking to begin with, there should be no harm in extended dunks.

Comment

I'm not kidding here, though. Just buff and brush it to get as much off as possible, let it soak in a little tub of fresh Coca Cola for a day or overnight, and brush/buff again!
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I've heard a penny nail can be fully dissolved if left in a can of coca cola for a few days, it's that caustic or acidic.

Comment

I've also heard of the coca cola theory.

Comment

Although carbonated water can and will clean some corrosion and oxidation, it is far from an effective rust remover (unless it's just extremely light surface rust). And the theory about dissolving a nail in Coke is hogwash. If you don't believe me try it for yourself. It's an experiment I think most people can afford! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I had reasonable success removing rust from my saddle blocks and intonation set screws on the JT580 I used to have by soaking them in CLR..
                    Right now on my schaller the only things that are rusting are the inonation set screws, and the screws that hold the locking nut in place. And they've collected rust really quickly (even sitting in the case most of the time) probably because of the moisture of the air here in Tokyo.. sucks...
                    I might just clean 'em as best I can this year and then eventually get some replacement screws and try to rust-proof them somehow..

Comment

Just get an old toothbrush and scrub with WD40.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

even if Coke could dissolve the rust, the sugar would be sticky as a MF!! you would never get your hand off the floyd again if you went for palm muting [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I would rub the parts using a hard toothbrush soaked in oil first, then disassemble the parts as much as possible and leave them soaked in oil for a couple of days, then brush off the excess put it together and see if it's gone...I would not use a steel brush unless the rust was serious...take it gradually but don't go for the "big guns" at first because then you could ruin the finish on the metal and it would start to rust again soon.
                        Basically, what charvelguy said [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X