No announcement yet.

Removing old spray paint/lacquer jobs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing old spray paint/lacquer jobs.

I'm sure this has been covered in this section at one time.
    I seached back over the last year posts and it just got to time consuming...soo here's the voyage I'm about to embark upon.

I have a body that has had a VH paint job over the original finish that I want to strip. I would probably have tried paint thinner, but I am leary this may be to harsh.
    What do you suggest to take the finish off without stripping any of the original finish/top coat? Napatha?

Thanks in advance.
    -Tom

Re: Removing old spray paint/lacquer jobs.

It all depends on what the original finish was. If the guitar was originally finished with polyurethane then I'd just use lacquer thinner to clean off the rattle can/lacquer job. If the guitar was originally lacquer there's not really any way to do it without stripping the whole finish. (at least not that I'm aware of)
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I took the Bunnyhead off my Soloist Pro (Krylon) with an old t-shirt and some nail polish remover. No harm to the original finish underneath (of course I also used a scraper because it was 4 layers thick and I was getting high off the acetone fumes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's a USA Kramer from the mid 80's,86-87. I'm assuming that is poly.

Comment

Working...
        X