Who runs their EMG at 18 volts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who runs their EMG at 18 volts?

Okay, I'm getting intrigued by this idea, since my Fusion has a set of EMG's. What difference does the 18-volt config make? I'm not asking how to do it, since it looks like a really simple mod, but I want to know your opinion of 9v vs. 18v.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Who runs their EMG at 18 volts?

In my new death metal band, See Me Rot, I plan on running a guitar equipped with one EMG pickup at the bridge position running at 27 volts into a 5150 head and a Dual Rec, both with the gain on 10!!! This tone will literally make you die and rot!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      In my new death metal band, See Me Rot, I plan on running a guitar equipped with one EMG pickup at the bridge position running at 27 volts into a 5150 head and a Dual Rec, both with the gain on 10!!! This tone will literally make you die and rot!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no. If that's where I wanted to go, I would just do this:

I'm looking more from a tone perspective.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
        if you're not joking, read the following quote from the EMG F.A.Q:

Can I use multiple batteries?

Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.

Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible.

unquote...

Comment

Thanks, Rune. Yeah, what I'm asking is....what does it do to the sound? Clearer, muddier, etc?

Comment

I am presuming clearer. More clean headroom. Think about the opposite effect, when your battery is dying, your EMGs become more distorted and less clean sounding. Increasing voltage in series gives a slight cleaner and clearer effect.

LOL @ Boxcar... I love you man. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Screw 27 volts you bastards. I have rigged up a little unit that fits in a backpack. Two car batteries that feed directly into the EMG's. No messing around here, it vomits METAL. Boxcar you should try this, you may have to add an extra gain stage to your dual recto, this is just THAT balls out. Two of my band mates actually had simultaneous heart attacks, just from hearing it. The other just fell over quivering while repeatedly defecating himself. I honestly don't think you can get more metal than this. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Might as well make the whole guitar body out of a huge frickin' battery pack. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

^lol

Comment

joel!

get joel. his custom warrior has a 18 volt EMG set.

Comment

Re: joel!

Cleveland Metal also runs his EMGs at 18V as well, I believe.

And soon my brother will have an 18V EMG loaded Warmoth bass. His other active bass is a 9V and it fuzzes out when the volume knob is turned up high, so we'll see if it does that on his 18V Warmoth when the volume is up high.

Comment

I run two guitars with EMG's at 18V, I think. I think I was drunk/stoned so I barely remember doing the mod(it's REALLY easy). I'd have to open them up to be sure that they both are running at 18V. I think they are. I think I remember hearing a little increase in output.

As for running 5 Metal Zones inline, that rig would just be metallic static even if you didn't plug a guitar into the end of it!!! You may as well smother a mic in butter and throw it in the deep-fat fryer. The sound would be the same.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          As for running 5 Metal Zones inline, that rig would just be metallic static even if you didn't plug a guitar into the end of it!!! You may as well smother a mic in butter and throw it in the deep-fat fryer. The sound would be the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I'll probably put a Sitar Swami in the middle of the chain.
                          [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Oooohhh! Better yet, I'll pull this one out of storage!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I run with 18 volts on my old 3A (85b,60n) and 9 volts with my DK2LE (81b) and to be honest, I can't tell that much difference. Of course, I am comparing different types of EMG pickups, too. Maybe if I have two 81's to compare I could hear a difference but not so much with the 9 volt 81 and the 18 volt 85. Just my .02.

Comment

Working...
                              X