DR2 guitar info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR2 guitar info needed

Is there anyone here who either owns a Jackson DR2 or knows the specs on one. I'm looking for bodywood type, and original pricing of this guitar. Is there anywhere I could find this info out. I saw a webpage with the 1997 salesfolder, but the print is too small to read. I would like to know how rare of a finish purpleburst is, did it require some special order for this color? I'd also like to know if the headstock above the scarf joint is flamed maple, it looks like it's slightly flamed. Also when blocking of the tremelo I noticed that inside of the cavity was written in gold pen "In the back black dots" What could this possibly mean, the only black dots I can think of would be fretboard inlays, but the fretboard is blank on DR2's, why does it say this in here? Please anyone with info on Jackson USA made DR2 please give me everything you've got on it. Thanks.

Re: DR2 guitar info needed

I suppose its possible that the back of the neck or headstock would have some flame or "birds eye", but I don't believe that they were specifically advertised that way. My DR2 is ash, but I think that was only an option with the "graphite" finish option. I believe the standard finishes were alder. I've heard of a DR2 in purple burst, but haven't seen one myself.

No idea about any black dots. As for pricing, mine cost $599 NOS, without case, at Guitar Center. I believe they originally were charging around $899, but it's been a long time...
    sigpic

Comment

From 1997 to 1998:

Poplar or ash body.
      Quartersawn maple neck.
      Ebony Fingerboard.

Colors were:

Black, Deep candy red, Ultra violet burst, Graphite, cobalt blue satin.

Hope it helps. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

There's two available in that finish right now. One on Justin Coleman's website and one on eBay. Those guitars were near a grand brand new.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah the I own the one that was on Justins site I've made numerous trades with Justin and he's always given me outstanding trade-in value. I got an '86 soloist from him about a year ago and went to his house this summer to trade the Soloist back for this DR2. Best trade I've ever made. I love this guitar. His name is Justin Coffman, anyways he claimed it was a really rare finish, either way it's an amazing color. I appreciate the replies, it's hard finding out info on guitars that didn't come out this year. Do any of you think that it would be worth the money and effort to replace the trem with a real Floyd and maybe get some new tuning machines. I was also thinking about pickup replacement. The Duncan Screamin Demon and the Jazz both have their drawbacks, any ideas on a good combo of Duncans. I have Dimebuckers and a Hot rails in an Ibanez 540s, and it improved the sound a lot, but it originally have Dimarzios which suck.

Comment

I put a Duncan Full Shred in the bridge position of my DR2, and it sounds MUCH better than the Screamin' Demon. Mine has an ash body (blue satin finish), but I also use the Full Shred in a Soloist and it sounds just as good. I find that the Demon sounds better in a darker sounding wood, like basswood or maybe mahogany.

I've had no trouble with the tuning machines or licensed trem, but I think you can find some info on replacing the JT580LP with an OFR in the Tech Q&A section. It's a pretty common replacement on some other models.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X