Moving on...Lets discuss this Mystery Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving on...Lets discuss this Mystery Jackson

My buddy Joe posted here about this particular Jackson a couple of months ago. The general concensus was that this poor guitar was a Fusion. I just picked it up today (after this had been pending for so long). The guitar is NOT the shorter scale! It is a full 25 1/2" scale with a 24 fret neck! The work order on the neck and body are identical (6612). Any ideas of what model this is?

Re: Moving on...Lets discuss this Mystery Jackson

If it is indeed a 25 1/2 scale without the neck being changed my guess is a Dinky . The fusion has a little deeper bevel on the horn than a Dinky.

[ January 26, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: LRGman ]

Comment

Here are some extra pics. Note how the frets line up perfectly with the Jackson Strat's frets. This would not be the case if it were a shorter scale. I also have pics of the work order in its various locations. Notice how the Jackson logo is smaller and lacks the "Made in USA" label.

Comment

I guess I missed the part about not having a neckplate? There are other guys here that know a lot more than me. But, with everything matching and the odd combo of a student maple neck with a Dinky body it must be a custom. Does it have a schaller,an OFR or a JT-6?

Comment

This poor thing has been neglected. The neckplate is gone as is the original tremolo, the truss rod adjuster cover, the control plate and the pickups. The story is that the guy pulled it apart to refinish it, gave up as it was hard to strip and lost the parts in the meantime. The trem that is in the pics was thrown in on the deal to me. I test fitted a JT6 and a Schaller Original Floyd from the 80's and both fit perfectly...go figure. The interesting thing is that the nut is like a real Floyd, not like the JT6 nut, and that too is definately factory.

The guy I bought it from paid $75 for it so he could use the case. I basically gave him his money back and gave him a gig bag.

[ January 26, 2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

My thought is why anyone would want to refinish a guitar with such a beautiful custom graphic?!? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

That's a 1989 Dinky Custom. In that year, Jackson began using the Schaller JT-590 trem, which explains the Floyd nut, which effectively replaced the older behind the nut lock. 24 fret Dinky's with the scooped lower bout were quite common, just look in the Gallery. And that Dragon graphic originated in the late 80's. Some, not all, but some, of the 1989 Jacksons lacked the "Made in USA" on the headstock. And most, not all, but most, had the small Jackson logo. Again, look in the Gallery for the proof. For $75 and a gig bag you did great.

Jim, by the way, is that your eBay testimonial on Ed Roman's web page about the fraud issues? He has a section where people have emailed abuse cases and your name is listed under one of them.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah, I posted that in an eBay forum almost 3 years ago and he cut and copied it for his site. Nice huh?

Comment

Yep, Joe beat me to it. The work order numbers aren't too far off from the actual serial numbers. My guess would be a 1989 Dinky Custom. Around that time, they called them the strat24 and dinky24. 1989 was also the first year they started doing the trem recess cutout but the trems weren't actually recessed into the cutouts. That is what makes 1989 one of my favorite years. I have a 1989 2 hum custom 24 fret Dinky that's done this way.

From the 1989 catalog:

"There are plenty of options available with the Vintage Style models. The 24 fret neck option has become very popular over the last few years."

Comment

Thats great info! Thanks! I can't wait to fix it up. I really hate to have to remove the rest of the graphic, but it is unavoidable. I am trying to decide what I am going to paint it.

Comment

Working...
                    X