EMG-81 18v vs SD LiveWire Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG-81 18v vs SD LiveWire Metal

Hey there folks. At some point in time, hopefully soon, I'll be putting my 24-fret-bolt-on-floyd-rose Rhoads together. It's going to have just the bridge pickup with a volume knob, or maybe even no knobs. I don't care about versatility at all. I want a high-gain metal shredding axe [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

It seems to me the 2 pickups in the title are the closest to fitting that description, but I have not owned anything other than the SD JB in my SL-3 so this is all based on crap from the internet. I'm looking for any observations or suggestions that you might think are useful. If you think there's some other pickup I should consider then bring that up too. I'd like to keep it at about $100 or less (the price of SD LiveWire) Thanks!

Re: EMG-81 18v vs SD LiveWire Metal

Have you tried the Duncan LiveWire Metal? It is VERY, VERY hot. The EMG-81 is sparkly clean compared to the LiveWires.

Don't necessarily listen to me though... I'm a guy who used an EMG-81 for extreme cleans in the bridge position of my Ibanez RG560 and that guitar became my "Stratty" clean guitar.

Comment

go with an EMG-89, with the push/pull vol. knob. that way you can go from searing death machine to a quasi-Yngwie tone with no mods [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....well,ok maybe just cause the 89 is my fav. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Did you even listen to the man? He said NO VERSATILITY. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Kidding. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I too would recommend the EMG-89 except I wasn't given that choice to begin with. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Did you even listen to the man? He said NO VERSATILITY. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Kidding. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          <font color="red"> ya got a point [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font>

I too would recommend the EMG-89 except I wasn't given that choice to begin with. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          <font color="red"> ouch bro </font>
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Didn't know anything about the 89...only really heard about 81 and 85 before. Think the 89 would beat the 81 without considering the single-coil mode?

Comment

I've always want to try the LiveWire. Give it a go and see how it sits.

Comment

The invader is pretty sick, I like it for no versatility metal insanity.
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Go with the LiveWire. Sick pup... a buddy of mine has one in his Les Paul. It's totaly ill... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X