Changing Pickups to JB and JAZZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Pickups to JB and JAZZ

hey i was going to change the pickups in my KE3 to the JB/Jazz combo. I know I'm going to buy the pickups and go to my local music shop and have the luthier do it, but i hear talk about "pots". and 500k pots etc... Do i need to buy pots and give them to the tech or should i just buy the pickups and give the tech them and ill be fine?!?

Re: Changing Pickups to JB and JAZZ

If there's nothing wrong with your pots than all you'll need are the pickups!!

Comment

Apparently the JB/Jazz combo was originally designed for 250k pots. Keep that in mind if you have 500k pots in your guitar now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Apparently the JB/Jazz combo was originally designed for 250k pots. Keep that in mind if you have 500k pots in your guitar now.

[/ QUOTE ]

...huh?
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Maybe to cut the highs? For whatever reason?
          I've also heard that Les Pauls sound better with 250K volumes. Haven't tried that myself. Anyone got any insight?

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, if you go by Seymour's history, he wound the JB and the Jazz for a custom tele he built for Jeff Beck. If he followed through with a tele's regular controls, they would have been 250K pots.

Personally, I've found the truth lies somewhere in the middle when it comes to pickups and pots, because the margin of error on them is so wide - you can get 500K pots that measure down to 400 or up to 550. I've also only noted problems with mismatching when you deal with extremes in pickups - for instance, I had a hard time with Dimarzio Virtual Vintage single coils with the recommended 500K pots - just too bright and springy, and I've found that the less load on a Gibson 500T the more air the pickup pushes, so that means 500K or better, even up to 1 Meg and no tone control in the circuit. But for run on the mill pickups, I've used 250 and 500 interchangably to taste - always to taste: too dark, go 500K; too bright, try 250K.

As for Gibson, they're QC has been spotty over the years. For a long time they used 300K pots for vol and tone, then they went 500K volume and 300K tone, then to all 500K. I've never measure the ones in my LP, so who the heck knows what they were using in the 70's.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
            X