No announcement yet.

any passive pups that sound like a 81?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any passive pups that sound like a 81?

I am really considering ordering a set of APC's but before i do is there any passive pups out there that are real close to the tone of a EMG 81? i heard before the duncan distortion is [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: any passive pups that sound like a 81?

The DD is a cool pickup, but to my crappy ears it doesn't sound anything like the 81. But I haven't tried them both in the same guitar, so there are other factors that I haven't ruled out.

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

i had emg81s and i dint like them. they only gave me a good rythm not a lead sound. thats why i want a Seymour duncan JB !@!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        i had emg81s and i dint like them. they only gave me a good rythm not a lead sound. thats why i want a Seymour duncan JB !@!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the JB now and want something a bit more like the tone zakk wylde gets with ozzy and BLS
        [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

BL 500XL, just make sure you get the real ones.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            BL 500XL, just make sure you get the real ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
            there are fakes? i just heard that the EMG H-4 is the closest without going active also?

Comment

If you ask me, you can't go wrong with the DD. On a side note, are you using the JB with 250k or 500k pots? I just learned the other day that they were originally designed for 250k. Also, apparently the only difference between the JB and the DD is the magnet. So, you could just get a large ceramic magnet from a Distortion and swap. It would be a cheaper way to find out if that's the tone you're looking for.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                If you ask me, you can't go wrong with the DD. apparently the only difference between the JB and the DD is the magnet. So, you could just get a large ceramic magnet from a Distortion and swap. It would be a cheaper way to find out if that's the tone you're looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are the same but the magnet? i have large ceramic mags so if i put one in the JB it will be a DD?

[img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the JB now and want something a bit more like the tone zakk wylde gets with ozzy and BLS
                  [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  with my emg81s in my esp i always got the wylde sound . i didnt like it though. btw, can you get a good Jason Becker/Paul Gilbert lead tone outta the JB?

Comment

DiMarzio X2N... 'nuff said! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      If you ask me, you can't go wrong with the DD. apparently the only difference between the JB and the DD is the magnet. So, you could just get a large ceramic magnet from a Distortion and swap. It would be a cheaper way to find out if that's the tone you're looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are the same but the magnet? i have large ceramic mags so if i put one in the JB it will be a DD?

[img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to those at Seymour Duncan, yes. But I can't confirm this personally.

Comment

The Dimarzio Evolution Bridge (DP159) is tonally similar the 81 but it cuts harder and won't hide sloppy playing... (I'm not implying that you are a sloppy player, just pointing out what I noticed...)

The type of wood the body is made of makes a difference tho.

Final thought, if youwant the 81 sound, why not use an 81?

Comment

I have to go with Toejam, the X2N kicks arse
                          93 USA Soloist EDS
                          USA HT6 Juggernaut
                          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

The SD Full Shred is good too. Not identical to the 81, but capable of coming quite close.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm beginning to love the Full Shred very much. Although I have a neck model in the bridge, that thing rips something fierce.

Comment

Working...
                              X