Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frets on usa soloists - important

Hi guys,
    i've got a first soloist bought over from a friend (s/n J09656) and it's a dream playing it.
    So I got a new one soloist from Matt (s/n U11386), about month ago (the ivory) and i think it's a good guitar but i'm disapointed it's not the same as the 1st one.
    I cannot get the same feeling, at first i thought it was just a matter of floydrose & neck settings but i've tried everything, it just doesn't feel the same at all.

It looks like frets are a bit different, a bit fatter on the first one maybe..
    I checked the serial numbers on official website and it's possible that the 1st one is from the custom shop, even though i thought it was a pure standard model.

Or have they changed frets on soloists now since a year or two??

Well, i hope someone can clear this up for me.
    Thanx i really need this info !

Re: frets on usa soloists - important

Soloists always have had "Jumbo" fretwire, though there are different types of jumbo fretwire. The way the frets are dressed can make a difference in feel too. Check out http://www.warmoth.com for an explanation of fretwire sizes.

Comment

The serial number of your "first" Soloist is invalid. Did you leave out a number? If so, it's a Soloist Pro made in Japan. Did you add a number? If so, it could very well be a custom shop. Get the precise serial number and we can put that to rest. As far as playability between the two the Soloists made over the years did have many variations on neck profile and playability. The early 90's USA Soloists had a much thinner profile than the modern era ones. But it's hard to say since we don't really know the origin/year of your "first" Soloist.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

How so, Zeno?

Comment

I don't have the first soloist here right now but I think the serial number would then be: J109656.
            My guess is it must have been build in 2001 or 2000.

And i'm positive, it's definitely a usa.

Strange isn't it ???

Comment

Oh wait here i read on jacksonguitars.com, serial number charts:

--
              Sometimes you will find production neck-thru's from the 90's with "J" or "RR" numbers instead of "U" numbers; this usually means it was a prototype of some kind made in the custom shop
              --

Maybe it's one of these?

Comment

Just to add: despite rare exceptions if it doesn't say "Made in USA" somewhere on it, it isn't.

Comment

Of course it says Made in u.s.a.
                  It looks EXACTLY as all usa soloist, but feels a bit different.

Comment

Stratophil: go get that Soloist and tell us the precise serial number. J109656 CANNOT be a USA made serial number. You're misinformed on the special notes at the serial number page, which is ONLY for USA models anyway. They're saying it's possible to have a J serial on a standard production guitar from 1990 onward. But even so, if you replace the "J" in the quoted number with a "U" there will still be too many digits for a USA. Just get the actual number exactly as it's stamped. Maybe even some pics would be good...

Comment

C750's got it. If you swap the first two numbers (J019656, instead), I think that's an import serial #. An SL3 or SL4 made in 2001, maybe? Not 100% sure about that.

Considering custom shop serial #s (which are only 4 digits, Jxxxx) have only hit the 6500s as of the beginning of 2001, I doubt very seriously it's a USA custom. i.e., No way there have been 2500+ custom neck-throughs made since the end of year 2000.

Get the correct serial #, and we can answer. That info.'s crucial. Right now, though, the magic 8 ball says "probably an import".

Comment

Damn, got it wrong the s/n of first soloist is actually U09656. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                        The reason was that the U is not well stamped and actually looks like a J.
                        Ok so it must be a regular usa model.

But it still isn't the same as my second soloist.
                        [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                        Different frets wiring i'm sure.

Comment

Hello I own uo9634 and it was completed 5 29 01. dont know if that helps but it is a standard run of the mill sl1. jumbo frets and all. I figured the date thingy might help you cause my serial # is so close to yours. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

See, I told you the # was wrong! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                            Not sure why you don't dig yours, I have U09652 and it is one of the finest necks. Has become my number one replacing my 87 je lee blueburst Rhoads. Mine is an SL2H in snakeskin. Is yours an SL1 or 2H?

Comment

Probably an SL2 Matt had a couple of white ones. They looked sweet.

Maybe you should sell it to me for a big loss [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , just kidding.

Maybe it is because the older one has been played more and is broke in. Sometimes new guitars feel stiff to me. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Nice axe play it and enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X